Monday, October 25, 2010

Passport

Are you familiar with the National Park Service's "Passport to the National Parks" program? 

You can purchase the passport at any NPS visitor center.  The spiral-bound book resembles an official US passport but contains pages for dated stamps for each NPS site you visit. 
I've been collecting them since 2003.  I now have 56 cancellations and 7 bonus stamps from 6 of 9 regions.  Here I am receiving my first stamp (kinda like first communion only the ranger wore a way cooler hat and he was smiling).  The scene was the Andersonville National Historic Site.  They have a POW museum - a moving and memorable experience.   


  
So many blank pages - so little time!
The cancelation stamps are a lot of fun to collect and make great souvenirs.  And ... it's a highly addictive hobby!  What more could you want? 

I intend to keep "stamping away" every chance I get. 

Here are a couple of links if you are interested in finding out more. 

Wikipedia's entry about the program:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Park_Passport_Stamps

This is an avid group of collectors.  The website includes an exhaustive list of all NPS sites and all the stamps available for each site:  http://www.parkstamps.org/news.php

Happy Stamping!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info on this. Another blogger mentioned it, but I wasn't sure what it was. I'm going to get the passport when I start full-timing, that's the kind of thing that will MAKE me get out and see more while I'm on the road.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I treasure mine and wouldn't leave home without it!

    Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have one book for parks and one for state capitols. Just started reading your blog. I found you from Travels with Emma, Judy's blog.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !