Monday, December 13, 2010

Travel Books Part I

Here’s a list of some of my favorite travel books.  I’ve tried to include titles that may not be as well-known as others.   

On the Water: Discovering America in a Row Boat.  By Nathaniel Stone.



A sensitive and moving account of a man pursuing a childhood dream of navigating the “eastern island” of the US in a rowboat.  A fascinating journey with a profound message about living simply and deliberately. 






American Pie: Slices of Life (and Pie) from America's Back Roads.  By Pascale Le Draoulec. 

A journalist relocating from the west to the east coast decides her journey is theme-worthy and chooses …. pie.  She travels the backroads in search of the perfect slice.  Good choice!  I love that this funny and charming book combines two great American traditions: road trips and pie.






A Journey of One’s Own.  By Thalia Zapatos.


I found this one in a Georgetown bookstore many years ago.  I rarely buy books but this one cried out to me and has since become my “Walden” for travel.   Written for women who dream about traveling solo but find the prospect daunting, I’m happy to see it’s still in print – noo doubt it continues to inspire.  She includes essays from other solo travelers as well. 


Going to the Sun.  By James McManus. 

I thought I would throw a novel in the mix here.  Penny is cycling from Chicago to Alaska for very compelling personal reasons.  Years before she had a life-shattering experience (which I will not divulge but let’s just say, I still have PTSD after reading it).  I am amazed that this male author captured Penny’s anguished yet strong voice so beautifully.   




I’ll post some more soon .....


2 comments:

  1. Cool list. There are a lot of books on there that I hadn't heard of. On my list of travel books to check out are Eccentric America and Adventures on America's Public Lands.

    Looking forward to following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll have to check out the titles you recommend. Literally "check out" as neither are available via Kindle. :-}

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !