Monday, January 31, 2011

January Non-Purchases

What a surprise to learn there was nothing this month that I didn't NOT buy.  To be a little more clear, January was a month for 100% needs and 0% wants. And, here's the thing - it was easy. 

Well .... we spent $77 on liquor but I could make the argument that is a true need.  Like chocolate - can you live without it?  Yes.  Would you want to?  No!


You know I like my Manhattans

Anyway, I'm pleased but also a bit disappointed because I've really enjoyed adding up the money I saved and converting it into gallons of gas. 

December total = $110


November total = $ 88


Grand total = $198


My aversion to buying stuff I don't need so I can travel the way I want = deep satisfaction.  Us middle-class types have to  make choices.  But, in this case, the choice is pain-free.  Get Rich Slowly discusses the same concept - conscious spending - in today's post.   

I think I'm going to be thrilled with my savings progress for the month - I'll report it as soon as the dust settles around the numbers.     

7 comments:

  1. I am lucky. My vice err, need, is gummi bears and they are cheap :)

    -Mike
    97 Roadtrek 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
    HTTP:WWW.VanTramps.Com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job. I think it is very important to think about what you buy and why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to the dust settling so you can inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mike - I just had gummi coke bottles a couple of days ago. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 'need' is CHROME !! LOL Thus I'll be boondocking a lot more. Now if I could only understand inverters and converters and know how to keep my laptop charged without having to turn on the generator I'd be all set.

    Kimbo, Think of all the $$$ you'll have to spend on accessories when you get your new rig. Can't wait !

    ReplyDelete
  6. You said the word chocolate and now I have to go to fridge and get a piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ummm. The chocolate covered caramel was good...

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !