Thursday, April 14, 2011

Complex Decision

Whew!  Is there any more complex purchase than an RV?  So much research required - including that into one's soul! 

This eBay rig looked like a likely prospect

2004 Forest River Lexington 235S GTS with 16 K miles
In fact, I was planning on driving to Atlanta tomorrow to see it and stopping at Camping World on the way to see their used rigs.  I even cancelled a meeting so I could leave town.  But now 1-2 inches of rain are forecast for the area and I'm pretty sure those Volkswagen claims about floating are unsubtantiated.  (This is a great excuse to show off my bug again so I will).


"Tell me about the 60's again, Dad" 
Back to the RV.  Love the price, miles, seller ratings, and floorplan.  I'm concerned about the quality though which is why I'm thinking I need to explore the Winnebago line-up.  There is a dealer a couple of hours away and 3 other dealers I have visited in the past along the same route.  (Anybody have any experience with the Lexington - direct or indirect ?).     

I got some sage advice from one of my full-timing cyberbuds - thanks Denise!!! - who advised me to think of this first motorhome as a "starter home".  There is a lot of wisdom in that, particularly considering my use will be. unfortunately, light until I retire.  And I haven't ruled out a Roadtrek yet either.  Availability is going to be a big factor. 

But I'm fortunate that I can buy now or 6 months from now.  So RV shopping continues to be my hobby.  But that's OK as I'm in a position now with school to take some weekends off and travel to dealers.

After my comprehensive oral exams and final stats final next week, I'll have some breathing room.



 

4 comments:

  1. Kim, I think it looks really nice - but of course I would. It's very similar to the RV I just bought. I LOVE mine - everything about it - except I don't have automatic mirrors, and I would really like to have those. This one also has a slide, which I didn't care about either way, but it gives you more room.

    I was a little concerned about Forest River, since I hadn't heard anything about them, the only MH I knew was really good was Winnebago. But Warren Buffet owns Forest River, and when I read that, I felt better about the quality. Since buying mine, I've heard from other women who have a Forest River rig, and they love theirs, too.

    I was also concerned about my RV's low mileage, because that is not always a good thing, but so far mine seems okay. I don't think we'll know until we've used them a while if we got a good deal or not. My fingers are crossed, but I am soooo happy I found the one I bought. I'm keeping some money in reserve in my "RV Fund" in case I have future issues.

    Can't wait to see what you do - Good Luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, buying an RV is complex. At times I felt like pulling my hair out. It doesn't appear that you're wrestling with the Class A? or Class C? like I was, so that lessens the drama a bit...maybe. Good luck and it appears that you're on the right track for what you want.

    The dealer where I bought my View highly recommended Winnebago. When I mentioned that I'd been considering Roadtrek, he didn't have anything positive to say about it because of the lack of space. Way back when, the salesman and I both had vans called Get Away Vans. My husband and I used the refrigerator only and never camped in it. I was willing, he wasn't.

    For what it's worth, I'm really glad my View has a slide. I think it makes quite a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Four Windows, I had a Get Away Van also !!

    Kimmer, I still think you might be passing up a good deal and RV here by letting this one go. I also think the Roadtrek is overrated and will feel very 'cramped' in no time !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim: In response to your question about driving the View...not a problem. I love the visibility, in fact, it feels almost as high as a Class A and I like that. I do believe that the cab is up higher than most Class C's and that was a pleasant bonus. I know I could probably get over my fear of driving Class A's but why when I can step into my View without a single fear? I like the size, too, for getting around and I don't plan on towing anything because I think it'll work most places I want to go to. Based on my somewhat biased opinion, I think the View would be a good choice.

    Jeana

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !