Sunday, June 19, 2011

Things 'N Stuff

First I’m just thrilled to have so many supportive followers – and some new folks have checked in too. JerryC, his wife, and dog Sally have a wonderful blog about their Casita travels. They are living my kind of retirement i.e. currently traveling up the west coast, stopping at wineries, and pounding down the crabmeat. Heaven! (Disclaimer: I’ve never actually witnessed their eating styles. Admittedly, I’m projecting because that’s how I would do it).


OK. Now that the trailer is ordered, I can turn my attention to the fun stuff – trip planning! And shopping!

Actually, I’m not much for shopping. Browsing can be amusing though. But contemplating the future d├ęcor of my cute ‘little house’ is just plain fun. But as rvsue said on her blog, it’s hard to outfit a trailer you don’t yet possess.

Penny Wise


However, this sudden flurry of shopping activity has awakened the ill-tempered little miser who lives inside me and likes to yell. I'm pretty sure the accent is Scottish. The little skin-flint that, oddly enough, lets me spend thousands for a trailer and tow vehicle yet balks at buying a collapsible colander for $14.99.

Lists

I’ve got several lists. One contains things I need to take to Rice when I go to pick-up the trailer. Must-haves such as wheel chocks, an inverter, and a corkscrew. Another lists items that can wait till I get back like placemats and a portable grill. The third list, which I carry at all times, has items I am likely to see on the shelf but forget that I need e.g. a small whistling teapot, a can opener, a teeny tiny blow dryer, and decent cocktail shaker. (I may forget to take my hormone pills before dinner but I have never once forgotten to make a Manhattan).

I went to 3 stores and 1 thrift shop today and didn’t come home with a single thing.  Because now I’m thinking – wait - I have a good cocktail shaker. Do I really need a hair dryer just for the trailer? If I don’t duplicate, will I forget stuff? Stuff I really need? Is that even a consideration with a Wal-Mart at every exit?

The Casita appeals to me for the same reason I always liked backpacking and why I live in a 1400 sq. ft. home – it forces one to strip down to the essentials.  Simplicity.  So I'll probably stay minimalist for now. 

Oh well, back to the trip-planning.

Now there’s a satisfying - and cheap! – endeavor.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, with a Walmart, Kmart, Target, Costco, or Sam's club always at hand, you can wait to buy what you need, when you are sure it is not just extra clutter.

    I desperately need a new salad spinner, so last fall I pointed out the collapsable model to my daughter and whispered "Christmas." It is now in my cabinet. No collapsed, but perhaps someday it will be.

    What I really covet is a set of nesting post and pans with removable handles. Barbara, of Me and My Dg just bought some and they look very functional. I remember the pans I took along on our rented RV trip took up way to much room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should mention a salad spinner! I found one today - not for the trailer and not on my list but for the house. I talked myself out of that too for several reasons: 1) we've gotten along fine for almost 30 years without one and 2) due to a lack of cabinet space, I'd have to get rid of something else and 3) I've got a trailer to furnish! NOW if it had been collapsable ....

    The nesting pots are neat but I prefer just a 4 quart pot and 8" cast iron skillet. (They sorta nest).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how horrible it is to wait for your new egg to hatch, & to think (worry, fantasize, envision, dream, etc) about the items you want to have for it. We've done lots of mods & bought most all the 'stuff' over the years that we want for our egg. I've tried to document all the items we use & mods we've made on my blog at www.CasitaEscapes.blogspot.com. Maybe you'll read something you hadn't thought about doing or getting. AND. . .hopefully you think of something we can do better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Glenda! I've been enjoying your blog as well, as you settle in to full-timing/work-camping in your Casita. I see that your wish- list for mods includes a light switch on the outside of the bathroom.

    I saw that mod on the Casita Club forum as I was going through the archives: http://www.casitaclub.com. I think it's from 2010 but you may find it with a search or ask the question anew. (You probably know all this already).

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your priorities Kimmer !! A cork screw....hysterical !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came over to say a cocktail shaker? blow dryer? but I see Sassy beat me to it. Bennie probably EGGed her on. But, travel as fancy as suits your style! You don't want to settle for some stirred drink - pfft!

    I am very thrifty, too, and I understand your reluctance. I ordered a pair of shoes yesterday and all the blood rushed to my wallet.

    Roxanne
    The Good Luck Duck

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !