Saturday, July 16, 2011

Hooray! Gulp!

I’m taking a few minutes out from writing my final two dissertation chapters to write about something equally as important as my research – my travel plans.  

Everything is coming together although not in the way I envisioned.  Life, huh?

After several weeks of back-and-forth, the boss and I were unable to reach an agreement about my teaching assignment for Spring semester which begins January 2012.  I wanted an assignment where I could work from the road – completely doable in my mind, completely NOT in hers.  So the result is that I’m taking the entire semester off.  

This is a development both wonderful (hooray!) and frightening (gulp!).  But mostly wonderful.  Downside: no income at all, possible hard feelings all around that may or may not subside.  Upside: well, I don’t need to tell you, do I?  Freedom.  

Once again, I have a choice between $ and no time or time and no $.  The equation of time = money rarely varies, doesn’t it?  Or not for us middle-class types anyway.

It’s undeniably nuts to think about financing a tow vehicle and taking on debt with a severely depleted income.  This is not how I planned it.  But I’ve been so practical (mostly) my whole life, I think this is one of those times when you have to just not think.  And just do it. 

I can hardly conceive of what those upcoming 5 months will be like.  I only know it will be very different from my current existence.  And there is no time to think now of these unseen possibilities.  But there will be …. and that’s all I care about for the moment.   

Well, back to business.

Stay tuned. 

7 comments:

  1. I hope the financial stuff doesn't hamper your plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you can find a workamper job somewhere for 3 or 4 months (where it's warm!), live in your trailer. I worked 3 months this year at an RV park and lived in Eggie. Gave me a little extra money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Kim!

    Wow! We ARE alike! I had a carefully planned timeline for retiring when I ran into a "wall" similar to yours, so I quit! er . .. resigned!

    Sometimes you have to take a wild leap toward your dreams!

    Best of luck to you,

    rvsue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet something good comes up between now and then...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all seem to have an anchor. Getting free isn't always easy, but I think you will recover from incurring a little debt in one semester.

    Your memories and experiences will be priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you the best on those last few chapters of the dis! And I am all with you. I've been such a responsible person that I deserve to move off the straight and narrow for a while. And it is sure paying off in quality of life. It will for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Levonne said - "quality of life" yup !

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !