Saturday, September 17, 2011

More Bacon Bits

Is the world ready for another bacon post?  Let's see. 

You know, they say that keeping a personal journal promotes reflection.  In this way we gain insight into our very souls. 

Apparently my soul is preoccupied with bacon.  More specifically, my soul wants to find a convenient, non-messy, simple solution for bacon access on the road.  The last documented experiment was with the Hormel Microwavable Bacon.  But thanks to a comment on that post by Anonymous, I decided to give the Hormel Fully-Cooked bacon a go. 


Winner! 

 

The biggest advantage: it's about 1/2 the cost of the microwavable version.  It's also more economical for 1 because you can remove as many pieces as you need rather than the 4 slices-or-nothing packaging of the microwavable.  I placed 2 slices between 2 paper towels and nuked them for 20 seconds. 

Result?

BLT. Extra mayo, please!

Another big advantage is that if you don't have shore power, you can heat it and crisp it up in a skillet.  And, should you have no self-control whatsoever, you can eat it right out of the package!  Both versions were equally tasty.   Thanks Anonymous!

Now I can move onto other issues such as finding a tow vehicle - which I hope to accomplish in the next six weeks or so. 

Dissertation progress - the modest yet monumental work of unparalleled genius is currently with the outside reader who will pass her judgment along to the graduate school sometime next week. 

Research in its dormant state

After that, a date will be set for the final defense.  I'm in the midst of preparing the presentation now. 

Speaking of which, I hope I put up a better defense than our Auburn Tigers are at the moment.  As I write this, I am watching us lose to Clemson in the 4th quarter 35-24.  It's been a long time since we lost a game.  Not that we will.  We seem to prefer dramatic tension-riddled come-from-behind wins.  

Oh well, War Eagle!!!

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE bacon. I microwave the regular bacon on a special bacon plate with paper towels. It cooks out a whole lot of the fat with no mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing does it like an old fashioned fry pay! Of course in an RV you will smell it for days. I'm thinking a electric fry pan out doors. Love BLT's, but for Craig and I it takes more than a few slices to do a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are welcome! I love pre-cooked bacon. This is really the only reason I keep my Costco membership.
    Good luck with your dissertation!
    Sorry tried making the comment under my log in but it's not taking. I have to figure out what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, that last post from Anonymous was from me... Sorry forgot my signature!
    Gypsy68

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is an outside reader someone not affiliated with your school? Good luck on getting through to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. The outsides reader is a representative of the graduate school - not necessarily affiliated with one's particular field of study. In this case, my outside reader's discipline is nursing unlike my chair -whose discipline is education.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh bacon, bring it on! I actually love turkey bacon, which I fix in the microwave on a paper towel. way less greasy & better for my tummy (ulcer doesn't like greasy stuff) But the turkey bacon can also be fried in a pan too. :-9
    Good luck on the tow vehicle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love bacon...will give the Hormel fully cooked bacon a try....ymm. Sounds really good to me. Oh by the way...thanks for visiting me on my Blog...and yes I think saving a pet is the way to go. We feel that they are an extension of our family.

    So what are you thinking of getting as a tow vehicle? I'm becoming more and more interested in those smaller rv's. I suppose if you have one of those...you would tend to stay in milder climates?

    Gotta go now....but before signing off I wanted to say....best of luck with your presentation.

    Til next time...see you on the blogs. ((hugs))Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  9. nwlambear,

    I tried to answer on your blog but Blogger won't let me comment. (This is getting really old).

    I'm thinking about a Nissan Xterra, Toyota 4-Runner, Ford F-150, or some other truck. It will really come down to what is available on the used lots when I'm ready to buy.

    I love Sebastian's blog! He really takes advantage of having a self-contained rig.

    Re: climate. The Casitas are marketed as 3-season trailers; however, there are reports of owners camping in temps in the single digits. I'll never be one of them - ha! I think Bigfoot makes the only small trailer built to handle really cold temps.

    Thanks for your kind best wishes!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. holy crap i most definitly admire BACON!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !