Friday, November 11, 2011

Pie!

I intended to check out that 24ft. Winnebago at the Atlanta Camping World today but I got all wrapped up in my day off.  Here’s what I did instead: took Doris on a morning and afternoon outing, went to the gym and the bank, did the grocery shopping, sent some cards to family, watered the plants, did the laundry, and worked 2 crosswords.  All before 3:30!  And I baked a pie for the first time in a couple of years!  A fulfilling day for sure.   

I used to bake pies on the weekends.  Then I started my doctoral studies and had to eliminate all the (quite literally) extra-curricular activities.  

But today I returned to Pietown!  We had some leftover blueberry canned pie filling from a brie recipe that didn’t quite work out that was my inspiration.  I tried a new, much easier crust recipe that Ewell Gibbons was fond of.  Remember him from the '70s?  Mr. Wild Hickory Nuts?  It looks too simple to be true: 

2 c. flour
2 T. sugar
¼ c. milk
½ c. vegetable oil


The Laboratory

The Results


I’m skeptical about this “shortcut” pie crust (and the canned pie filling) but just wanted to have a fun throw-together for my first attempt after the long layoff.  And I figure a hefty scoop of Haagen-Dazs on top will make up for a lot of mistakes.   

 I’ll call this one Rusty Pie (cause I am).  Or maybe Murphy Pie (plenty went wrong, mostly pilot error).  I hope the crust does work because it is one heck of a lot easier than the butter-based one I’ve made in the past.  I won’t stick with the canned filling though – to me the fun part is picking out the fresh fruit and mixing and matching the various flavors.  

 Back to the RV shopping report.  I plan to go to Gainesville, FL the week of Thanksgiving to check out a seller who deals exclusively in Class Bs.  They’ve got over 30 units so I’m bound to find something.  I’m waiting for a confirmation email that they will, in fact, be open the first of the week.  That would be a week from Monday.

 I’ll let you know how whether the pie passes the ultimate test.  It’ll be desert tonight following John's pecan-crusted tilapia served with bacon grits and homemade yeast rolls.   

Update: the pie crust was pretty good.  John says he likes it as well as the time-intensive version.  I'm thinking cranberry next time.  Any pie recipes you want to share? 

7 comments:

  1. Blueberry pie and pecan-crusted tilapia served with bacon grits and homemade yeast rolls..... May I come to dinner at your house? Pleeze! :D

    Can't wait to hear your impressions of the Class B's. I hope you find one you absolutely love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good food is good for your soul. Good luck on the RV hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you feel like grabbing a fast cuppa on your way past, I'm in Lake City, and I could meet you somewhere convenient for you. Are you coming from 10 or 75? Let me know if your schedule feels open enough for that; I know a day isn't long to do everything you want to do.

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to hear what you think of the Class B's. I was so intent on selling my Class C when I came home this fall to buying a Van and doing a conversion. Then I opend her up for the first time in 6 months and knew I couldn't do it. I went out last week and realized even further that I could NOT go smaller not evern for a few days camp out. But thats just me!

    Pie crust sounds sooooo easy and the pie sure looked good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimmer, Here's hoping you'll find something real soon as Bennie and I are looking forward to hanging with you and Doris at Quartzsite in January !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my Class B and am not 'cramped' at all but I travel alone with Petey (no other human) in my medium sized vehicle. There are larger B class and I think they are easier to handle than a C but that is for you to decide.
    The pie looks luscious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yummers, thanks for the pie crust recipie, I'll have to give that a try. I'll save it. I've been hopping around the RV today eating everthing that doesnt' eat me first...not sure why I've been so hungry today. Good luck on your RV search adventures! Wish I could tag along, I just love looking at RV's. WE'll just virtually tag along instead :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !