Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Imprisoned

Warning: unbridled bitterness ahead .....

This is what my house looked like this AM. 



To those of you who have wisely divested yourselves of your particular money pits, I commend you.

Why am I so bitter?  This is the simply the latest occurence in a long line of such instances when homeownership has prevented me from traveling. 

And not only are the costs out of proportion to any satisfaction one might receive from owning, but I keep fixing things that don't stay fixed.  For example, I just had the stone porch repaired and now it is in much disrepair once again, as you can see.  In 11 years, I've had to redo the porch 3 times.  The same porch, I might add, that gives me absolutely no pleasure. 

For me the oft-touted "financial advantages of home ownership" do not in any way compensate for the missed opportunities.   I now think the entire notion is a complete scam perpetuated by the following: landscapers, pest controllers, revenuers, and insurance companies.  I know there are many others to add to that list.   

My long-awaited trip is postponed indefinitely now.  The one I planned and saved for over the last 14 months.  I'll have to see if there is enough a) time or b) money to salvage any part of it when this is all over.  To say I am disappointed doesn't really cover it.   

I am way behind in following your blogs. It may be some time before I get back to them. I'll be honest with you - at this point it is just too painful.

13 comments:

  1. My goodness Kim, I didn't think it was that bad. This photo really shows the damage. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, I really feel your pain. The pic of the house today really looks so awful.

    I have no regrets (so far) with my decision to sell the house. I had just gotten to the point of "I don't want it anymore". And it is a money pit for sure.

    Chin up Girl - better days ahead for sure. You've worked long and hard and deserve some good times. Sending good vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know insurance will only cover the damage not all the time it will take to deal with the repairs! I know what you are feeling about that porch. I look at the painting I did last year and wonder if it will still look good when all of the rest of the work is done.

    I'm so glad we went ahead and bought the Alfa when we did. The house will get fixed up or not, but we will have started on our journey in spite of it. We will just have to keep coming back and working on it from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to see all of the damage to your house. You need this time to vent and to deal with the frustration of the situation, it is a type of grief.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kim,
    I don't know how you feel I just think how I would feel and that isn't very good. You can vent here and we will listen. You will get on the road it will just take a few months longer. You have worked very hard for everything you put into place for yourself this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! I had no idea! I just went to check on your blog - oh man, this sucks. I'm sorry. This kind of stuff hits me harder now since I lost my house to Ike. This will take some time to fix for sure. I know you are probably mad at your house right now too...thank goodness that Doris is ok. I wish I could come help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Moses! Somehow I missed your last post. What an awful shock to come home to. You deserve to vent all you want to. I'm so sorry. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim, I also feel that my house is a money pit and an unwanted anchor. If I had to do it over again I would rent and avoid the burden -- almost slavery it sometimes seems -- of home ownership.

    I am so sorry this happened to you. It breaks my heart to look at the photo.

    I hope with all my heart that you can make your trip work in spite of all the brutal setbacks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Your damage is far worse than I first thought. I am so sorry! I agree with Judy...vent!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry this happened, Kim. I can understand how you must feel blue. I'm glad no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a heartache you must be feeling, I can totally understand how you feel. Here in Alabama in April we had the tornadoes that forever changed so many lives, even today there are still massive damages all around the state. It is so strange to drive down the interstate to the sight of what used to be trees, now just a bunch of kindling and matchsticks. I will add your family to my prayer list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Checking in with you. Please check in & let us know that ya'll are doing ok please! {{Hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I, too, wish I had just rented the last house instead of buying. I was also indoctrinated that home ownership was something you did, and so I owned a home. They really are money pits, or else they were our "bank" that failed, either way they are a burden. It's really too bad. I hope once the repairs are done you will feel better, and that things will settle down and get back to normal for you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !