Thursday, May 31, 2012

Digital Nomadism

Ooooh - someone coined a phrase for what I'm contemplating.  Digital nomads are individuals that leverage digital technologies to perform their work duties, and more generally conduct their lifestyle in a nomadic manner (wikipedia)



As the date for selling the house creeps ever nearer, we are taking care of a lot of tiresome details.  We are optimistic that the house sale & move will happen as planned.  Closing is set for the 25th of June.

I've been spending the last couple of weeks working (in the office about 2 days per week) and the remainder of the time relaxing, hanging out with Doris, eating John's most excellent cuisine.  I've gotten very lazy now that I am de-toxed from the work situation so ..... I am embracing my inner slug! 

Le Chef in the soon-to-be-ours condo kitchen(ette)

I have also been researching the possibility of earning a living online.  I am having difficulty, though, finding people that are accomplishing this by teaching college.  In a way, that's a good thing because I'll feel like a pioneer!  Distance education is the future for higher education. No doubt about it.  Maybe I can learn the ropes and eventually blog/write/present about this new way to teach.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I've applied to 3 nursing programs that have online adjunct openings.  These positions are part-time, contracted, term-to-term, and offer no benefits.  I've also applied to 2 nursing programs in another category entirely - as full or part-time but with permanent faculty status and benefits as well.  I'm leaning toward the latter category because looking for classes to teach every 6 - 12 weeks would get tiresome. 

One program has graduate students at 200 clinical sites across the U.S. and needs someone to do clinical site visits.  How cool to get paid mileage to travel.  Is this too good to be true?  I'll let you know!

I often think back to November when the tornado put an end to my travel plans that I had been making for over a year. I was so angry for so long!  Then when I didn't get the job I expected to eventually retire from, friends told me it would work out for the best. (That included some of you).   Frankly, I was skeptical.  But now, 2 months later, I'm daring to hope that everyone was right about that.

But for now, it's been a lot of fun exploring the suddenly wide-open possibilities for my teaching career!

Thanks for hanging in there with me ..... 

6 comments:

  1. If our lives could always go exactly as we have planned, many good things would never happen to us. I strongly believe in making plans, but also am comfortable with the thought that they can be changed when we least expect.

    I started my blog as "Merikay's dreams are written in smoke" In many ways that is still very true.

    Good luck. I hope you get that job with the travel requirements. It would be great for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what they say...when one door closes another door opens!! I also totally agree with Merikay!!

    To travel and make clinical visits would be the most awesome thing!! I'll cross my fingers on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, I'm so happy about the possibilities. I'm hoping you get the best of both worlds -- career security and being a digital nomad!

    It's so exciting watching your dreams develop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun that would be to get paid to travel!

    I'm sending some hoping and hoping your way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another saying is "Make the plans - don't plan the results."

    And as I've said before you are doing just that by completing all this leg work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey VP here from TeachOnline Blog. I know a lot of nurses who do the traveling nurse deal. They take their RVs and live somewhere for 3-6 months and then move on wherever else they want to go. Email me from my blog! We can do some brainstorming.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !