Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Another Update



Just wanted to update my readers (assuming I still have any after my lenghthy stay in Blogger Limboland).  We’ve experienced a lot of change in big and small ways since November.  Here’s a rough-hewn timeline.



November 16, 2011: major tornado damage sustained.  See posts and pics below.  We move into my father-in-law’s condo where we remain today.
December 7, 2011: my beloved father-in-law died in the ICU after a 3-week hospitalization.

December 12, 2011: I receive my PhD.

January 25, 2012: we put our house on the market.  For my feelings toward the house, see the post of 11/22.  Yeah, I was angry.

March 5, 2012: I interview for the full-time permanent faculty job that I have been doing for the last 5 years.

March 13, 2012: I learn that I did not get the position.  The one that I loved and planned to retire from.  The word “devastated” doesn’t really convey our reaction.  I can’t eat or sleep and lose 8 pounds in 10 days.   

March 29, 2012: A routine GYN exam reveals a large pelvic mass on the right ovary; ultrasound indicates it is a tennis-ball size cyst.  MD is optimistic that it is benign.

April 24, 2012: I have laproscopic surgery to remove the cyst.  No complications and I was back home that night.  We are still awaiting the biopsy report.    

Crash.  Burn.    

My grand travel plans were dashed and the pain was so intense that I couldn’t follow any of your blogs for months. 

On the other hand ….

Some good stuff happened as well.  It’s taken a while but …. I feel great!  Doris is thriving and loves it here at the condo.  (Primarily, no doubt, because we are together approximately 20 hours out of 24).  I’ve come to appreciate my loving husband John even more and look forward to the chance to try to make his life a happy one.  He doesn’t ask for much – but that doesn’t mean I can’t give more than that. 

And after all this, I’m happier than I’ve been in a long time.  I love the slow empty stress-free days and just hanging out with family and friends.  And I’m consistently sleeping well for the first time in years.  I know it can’t last so I’m greedily savoring every wonderful moment of it.  And waiting to see what's next. 

I’ll write more later about Plans B, C, and D.  Even though of all the lessons I’ve learned the most profound is this: planning is merely a smug cognitive activity and then there’s a tree in your living room.    




15 comments:

  1. I've been missing you around here! wow, you sure have been through a lot. I'm sooo glad that you are now happy -- keep on living a stress free happy life!!! {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Kim, what a load of stuff has gone down for you! Not getting your own job must have felt like a huge betrayal. You'll understand if I feel like I'm happier than I've been in a long time is the most important piece of news you gave us.

    A smug cognitive activity, indeed. Well-put.

    Roxanne
    The Good Luck Duck

    ReplyDelete
  3. EGAD, what a time you've had. Hoping things turn around and especially that you get a benign report on the cyst.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TexCyn,

    Thanks so much for the kind words. I've been catching up on your blog also and sincerely hope that you will be back on the road soon.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ducky!

    “Betrayal” is the word on everyone’s lips. I’ve never been good at office politics but the consensus is that the good guys wanted me to stay and the bad guys wanted me out. On that particular day, the bad guys outnumbered the good. After a few weeks I realized that it has nothing to do with one’s abilities at all.

    BTW, your post today was so funny I almost bust my stitches. But then that’s always a hazard when I read your blog.

    So happy you and Annie and the kittens are enjoying life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna,

    Thanks - I'm sure the news will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Mackerel! If you're feeling happier than ever now, I can only take my hat off to you! Best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you were able to give us an update. I've been thinking about you for the last few days, wondering what was happening!

    Congratulations on getting your PHD. Quite an accomplishment.

    So sorry you didn't get the permanent position you wanted. Year ago something like that happened to me when I was being laid off as a teacher. There was a new position opening and I really wanted it, didn't get it, but ended up taking the next year to get my art going on my own. Not getting the job changed my life. For the better!

    So I hope you will move forward and find a new exciting direction.

    Love is a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim, I've missed you terribly. I check your blog almost every day for the links to other blogs, and have always felt a profound sadness at your absence.

    I am so glad to see that you are bouncing back from the painful hurdles life has put in your path.

    And I can't tell you how thrilled, THRILLED, I am to see you posting again.

    Looking forward to following your blog again no matter which directions life takes you.

    All the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sure have been missing you around old blogland! So good to have an update...although it was a YIKES one!! I am glad you are feeling better than you have in awhile. That is a great thing!! I will say a prayer your lab results are negative and all things are ok in that area!!
    I do understand how it hurts to read others blogs when your own plans have been shattered. Mike and I have gone through much the same disappointment (not a tree in the living room though). Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the update, I've been wondering and worrying about you along with everyone else. I'm so sorry for all the things that have happened. I hope you can continue to enjoy this time off for a bit. I'm looking forward to hearing about the next plans B, C, and D.

    Congratulations on earning your PhD! That's a huge accomplishment. Don't ever let the "bad guys" get you down. It's certainly their loss, for sure.

    Positive thoughts are going up for you that your biopsy is negative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back, Kim! You and John have been making your way through a very dark valley. Looks like you are making it through to the sunshine just fine. . . enjoying your days and each other. Plus you've got your PhD! Congratulations!

    You were missed by many, including me. I never took you off my Favorites list! Best wishes . ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Thanks everyone. I'm so fortunate to have such supportive followers. I'll never forget it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to see you back. Will be sending positive thoughts your way. I wasn't good at playing politics either. When I first got my PhD I applied at the local university for a position I qualified for but the politician who interviewed me didn't know me so I was glanced over for a gentleman he knew. I was crushed. I, too, had dreams of retiring from that position. I never did find my dream job and eventually started my own business. I wish you all the luck in finding your dream job as well as fulfilling your desire to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  15. KIMMER !!! THRILLED - THRILLED - THRILLED that you are blogging again. Sure missed you !!

    What a time you've had. I have to read the rest of your posts now to get up to date. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !