Monday, September 24, 2012

Product Review and Travel Plans

Microhearth TM


Have anybody used this?



I recently read about the Microhearth Grill on a Roadtrek discussion board.  It’s a product that sounds just the thing for a solo traveler who's both lazy and hungry. 

I haven’t bought a kitchen gadget since some long-ago Mother’s Day.  John and I find the basic cooking implements are all we need.  Judging by the number of our kitchen tools, it would appear as though we seldom cook.  
 
Like most gadgets, this one sounded too good to be true.  Throw a steak in the pan, zap it, and in 4 - 5 minutes, it comes out juicy and sizzling.  Yeah, right. 

But I was intrigued.  And the more product reviews I read, the more convinced I became that this “microwave grill” might be worth the $42 outlay.  So I ordered one last week and it arrived today and we tested it tonight.   For dinner, John made trout amandine with garden fresh English peas on the side.  Rounded out by some warm garlic bread and a chilly Chardonnay.

To test the Mircrohearth, he sliced potatoes into wedges, tossed with oil, seasoned with salt and pepper.  Cooked x 4 minutes on one side, turned the potatoes, and cooked for another 3 minutes.   After removing the cover and admiring the grill marks, he topped them with shredded Monterey Jack and bacon bits.  Mmmmm.  Mmmmm!
 

 

So the first experiment was a success!  This might be just the thing for a quick, tasty meal-on-wheels.  Tomorrow night, we’ll attempt center-cut chops.    
 

Travel Planning


After consulting with our good friend Liz, who lives in Laramie, Wyoming, I’ve decided not to venture that far north in mid-October.  She assures me that a 4WD vehicle is in order and there will be a constant vigilance for snow on the high mountain passes.  I have a feeling that someone is eventually going to recommend snow chains.  Time to reconsider.  I’m not into hazardous driving. 

So, at Liz’s suggestion, I decided to go in May.  Bonus: Liz wants to accompany me to Devil’s Tower!  Yay!  I know we’ll have a blast. 

I’ll stick with my original plan for a family visit mixed in with some state parks stays.  This is probably a much better plan for the moment as I’m still getting to know the Good Deal Bus. 

I’m also thinking about a Roadtrek tech rally in Florida the first week of November.  This would allow a visit to the Cape Canaveral National Seashore.  It will be a nice time of year to be there.  Few people.  Lotsa birds. 

12 comments:

  1. That gadget looks interesting. Please post more about what you cook in it. Is it easy to clean without a dishwasher? I do not have a gas stove in my RV and use a rice cooker, slow cooker and the microwave. I do not carry a grill with me because I do not want to transport a dirty smelly grill in the RV. I think its a good idea to leave the Black Hills and Wyoming for late May. We had some snow while traveling in the Black Hills in 2005 on Mother's Day weekend. I don't like going over mountain passes if there is a possibility of snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teri,

      Yes - very easy to clean. The cheese didn't even think about sticking. I resisted the impulse to say "Clean-up is a snap!" because I already fekt like an infomercial star. I'll mention that next time though.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen that grill before. Interesting. Good idea on Your travel plans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We spend a lot of time at that National Seashore, easy to find your own spot to walk or sit. It requires a pass, I guess you have one, being a camper. The beach is steep for walking, but we do it. The wildlife drive is very alive just before Sunset and yes there are thousands of shore birds there. There is a Moose Lodge close to there and they have short term Free camping in back, cheep booze and food. If you are not a Moose, you might consider becoming one. They have lodges all the way out to Key West. A stay of one or two nights is usually OK and free. So Tom says get National Park Pass and become a Moose. A BLM pass is good to get if heading out West. No comment on kitchen gadgets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I am not now, and have never been, a Moose. I will look into it though.

      Great info about the Seashore. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I'm trying not to buy any kitchen toys! We do carry a grill, and I have an oven in the Alfa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me the joy of NOT cooking is the best thing about road trips...I bring about 4 or 5 dinners frozen (chili, ham and beans, enchiladas and rice) and then after that I stop at a store for organice yogurt, cottage chees etc. With fruits and veg...A good time to take a break from food...wine and cheese and crackers make a great meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to use the same method when solo traveling. We will see if I actually use it on the road.

      Delete
  6. I cook a lot and seldom go out to eat, so that grill looks really interesting. I have a tiny, cheap bar-b-que grill for outside, but have never used it. I'm going to check this grill out on-line and am interested what you think as you try more foods in it. The potatoes look wonderful. The only thing I would add is sour cream. Yum!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The sour cream was a tragic omission. We didn't plan the dish very well - it was kinda spur of the moment.

      I will post more info after we do the chops tonight.

      Delete
  7. I'm VERY tempted by this. Look forward to reading how your chops come out. The Amazon reviews are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even with the most excellent of kitchen gadgets - I still don't know how to cook and still hate to cook ! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !