Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day 1 Alabama Trip


Tuesday October 2, 2010

Loaded up the bus and left home around 11 AM.  It took me a while to get to Cheaha State Park though it’s only 87 miles from home.  I meandered along the back roads (the only way to get here, actually) listening to Frank, Dino, Rosemary, and my GPS. 

The park sits atop Cheaha Mountain, Alabama’s highest point, at a little over 2,000 feet elevation.  It’s a damp 62 degrees and we are socked in by some serious fog.  After the brutal heat we’ve experienced, it feels good to be a little chilly and wear fluffy socks.  It feel like fall and smells like a campfire. 

On the way here I stopped for lunch at Horseshoe Bend National Military Battlefield on the Tallapoosa River, a site I always enjoy visiting.  I had lunch ………


..... in my van down by the river.

I was promised partly cloudy skies but it rained almost the entire trip and continues to drizzle now.  But that’s OK – I’m mighty cozy here inside the bus.  I’ve opened the canopy windows and have a nice cross breeze in which to watch the rain.  I’m listening to some great jazz on the Weather Channel.   

New experience today: getting set-up in the rain!  It was a slow steady drizzle and, of course, the hook-up took longer than it should have.  The first site I chose had a broken faucet.  The second site was 50 Amp only.  The third site proved to be the big winner. 



We camped here years ago with the Casita and did some hiking.  Current rate = $24.20 for water, sewer, and electric.  I'm happy to report that all systems work.  I've used the water heater, the heater part of the A/C unit, and am experimenting with driving on propane.  The only issue has been the DVD door that won't open.  But I've got my laptop if I feel like watching a movie.  So I'm pretty pleased with the bus overall. 
Tomorrow I travel to Desoto State Park in Ft. Payne, AL where my mom and dad were from.  It’s a special place for me and I haven’t been there in, well, just too too long.  Maybe I’ll visit the library, where I had such fun as a kid, and hunt down some connectivity so I can post.

So onto the crossword puzzle, by the time I get good and stumped by it, it’ll be Happy Hour.  Then Dinner Hour.  John promises to call after he and Doris go to the park. 

Correction: I ended up posting from here – Dandy RV (formerly Camping World) in Anniston. 
Nice customer lounge with a full kitchen!

14 comments:

  1. Glad the trip in the rain went okay! Looks like the sun came out today though. I've been using my verizon Mifi to work and it's been working great. I worked for two weeks on the mifi and didn't even come close to using up my monthly allotment of 4 gig.

    Hey I've got a new blog -- check it out. I'll be writing about all sorts of things related to traveling and teaching online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nitewriter. I'm glad to read about your health improvements through diet and behavior. I was set to leave a comment, but I see comments are restricted to blog members.

      The Good Luck Duck

      Delete
    2. Thanks Good Luck Duck. I fixed the comments I think.

      Delete
  2. Consider yourself bookmarked nitewriter! I'll explore your blog when I get a chance. I plan to do what you are doing as soon as I get a teaching gig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimbopolo. You've read my other blog Teach Online. I had to do an anonymous blog that my students can't find so hence the new nitewriter! I'm still keeping the other going too. I'll be reading your blog from my nitewriter account.

      Delete
  3. oooooo, looks lovely to me! There is something cozy about being in an RV with the rains on the roof

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is REALLY a Good Deal Bus if those crooners came with the package.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We haven't been to Cheaha in years back when we used to tent camp. You reminded me I'd like to go back again.

    Also haven't made it to DeSoto, but it's on our list.

    And I thought the Camping World in Anniston had closed. How great to hear that it didn't!

    So much fun to see you on the road. Wishing you sunshine and clear blue skies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bad, TC. It's listed on the corporate website as a location but it is now independently owned and named "Dandy RV". I'll go correct it.

      Delete
  6. That camping World area sure looks a lot nicer than any part of the camping world near here. It just has a couple of ratty chairs for anyone waiting on service.

    Love the rain picture. It does look private.

    We haven't had any rain yet this fall and I'm half waiting for it. The other half is hoping it will be awhile so Craig can get the decks done. I doubt if he will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to know everything is working out and you are enjoying yourself and the whole wonderful experience. How long are you out for ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sassy Girl,

      Just a week. I consider this phase-two of the shake-down cruise. I'm learning so much about the rig!

      Delete
  8. Glad you're having fun! You were very near our cabin on Lake Martin. Have fun in northern AL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love being inside The Palms when it's raining. I never get enough rain - at least I haven't yet.

    I thought you were going to travel with Doris. Did you decide to leave her home until you're comfortable with the bus?

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !