Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day 2 - Alabama Trip


Wednesday October 3, 2012

Left Cheaha in the late morning.  Stopped at Dandy RV in Anniston for coffee and cookies and it was.  Dandy, I mean.  As I mentioned in my last post, the lounge was a nice place to hang-out. 

Then on to Gadsden where I stopped at Cracker Barrel thinking they might have wifi but no luck.  However, they did have some bacon, eggs, biscuits, and gravy that made me very happy indeed.  Earlier in the day, I was too late for the breakfast buffet at Cheaha’s Lodge and I just couldn’t stop thinking about how good a very large breakfast would be. 

Check it out, Carolyn @ amigoingsomeplace.  See what the competition is doing?  (I think Carolyn enjoys inspiring envy in the rest of us with her mega-breakfast photos).
Well, maybe it doesn't look that good but trust me ....
Stopped at Wal-Mart in Ft. Payne and picked up a few necessities like turtle cake.  Needless to say I won’t be much hungry for dinner so will have some leftover fried chicken and a bag ‘o salad. 

Got to the Desoto campground later than I planned – about 5:15.  Still plenty of daylight to hook-up though.  No problems with that part tonight except that I am supposed to have cable but I must not have it hooked up correctly.  That’s OK – I brought several movies and have some good books on Kindle.

It is quiet here, at least for now.  They expect a full complement in the campground this weekend.  The leaves are changing far in advance than back home.  That, and the perfect temps, makes this area even lovelier.  North Alabama – a well-kept secret.    

Foothills of the Appalacian chain

Where the Appalacian Trail should start

I’m looking forward to sight-seeing town tomorrow. My parents are from here and we visited often when I was small.  I remember everything – including how the Ben Franklin Five & Dime smelled.  It’s gone, of course, along with the drugstore with the soda fountain.  I’ll probably park on Memory Lane and stroll.  Getting to do this feels positively luxurious.   In the past 30 or so years, when we’ve visited - mostly burying the people we love -  we’ve had other obligations that made us rush. 
Think I’ll go stretch out and do the crossword.  All I did today was drive 90 miles, have a late lunch, and stop at Wal-Mart, yet I’m pleasantly tired. 

I’ve got the fantastic fan on and the canopy windows open providing the ideal cross-breeze.  Did I mention I love my home-on-wheels?

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day! I'm envious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, siiiiiiiiiiiigh. Oh gee what should I do next? Oh, nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good photos! I just love that feeling, nowhere to be and nothing you need to get done. I filled quite a few of those kind of afternoons with my kindle too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally understand taking your time and going at your own pace. Down with rushing!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. ! Yum, love CB breakfast!!! Lucky you. I'd like a fantastic Fan. Have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I know you have been working toward this day for at least a couple of years. It's great to read that your dreams are fianlly coming to fruition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your stroll down Memory Lane. :)

    Your photos of the area are beautiful.

    There was a plan to extend the Pinhoti Trail into the Appalachian Trail at one time. Don't know what the status is now.

    It's great to see you so happy with your little mini home on wheels! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cracker Barrel also has a great fish dinner - enough leftovers for two more dinners - yum! Sounds like you're having a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. FUN and food! My kind of life! Ooooo I love your Roadtrek and I need to get to Alabama again. Beautiful state ... That liitle town down by Mobile on the bay... rats can't remember the name ... so cute

    Went there after the GTG of WGS in May 2012.

    Getting wifi is always interesting ... And typing with one finger on my iPhone ad I'm doing now is frustrating ... But on we go!!! good stuff Kim!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !