Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Re-purposed Toolbox and Other Home-On-Wheels Furnishings

Oooh-La-La!



I wanted a new toolbox because my old one proved unsatisfactory. It was actually a fishing tackle box and it was hard to rummage around in.  My sweet mother-in-law had a hard-sided cosmetic case; you know, the one everyone had with the faux satin lining?  It's so cute and evocative, I held onto it after she died thinking I would find a purpose for it one day. 

It was a little beat-up. I cleaned it, removed the peeling and cracked lining, and replaced it with some nubby shelf-liner. 

 


 I used some vintage National Park stickers to decorate the exterior. 




 

It's satisfying to re-purpose stuff - especially an item you feel sentimental about. 

Speaking of which, here's my flea market find, a vintage stove-top percolator.  The harvest gold reminds me of the 70's and my mom in the kitchen. 



I also found this nifty hanging storage piece at Tuesday Morning.  It fits nicely over the bathroom door. Now I have a place for my remotes, Kindle, and those small items you tend to lose track of.



So I devoted a large part of this week preparing to leave on Sunday instead of leaving it all till the day before departure.  I'll be ready to go.  It's been a month since my last trip and I'm itching to go, go, go.  

13 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your new tool box. Your mother-in-law must be smiling on you, and will be a with you on your travels. It turned out so nicely!

    The yellow coffee pot is darling and looks perfect on your stove top.

    And the hanging storage is one of those things everyone needs to stash things in that we always misplace.

    You are doing such a great job making the GDB your own. (I keep thinking GTB - Good Time Bus) Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one much like it in tan/brown. I used it for years to keep the hardware for my art booth display. That's all still in there, but maybe I will think of using it around the Alfa. Glad you are enjoying the book. The story will stick with me for years I think. She just makes you feel like you are hiking along too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh what fun! and exciting! I love Tuesday Morning's I have the same hanger -- in fact three. They're good for lots of stuff.

    So excited for you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have a cosmetics case like that in a closet! How cool that you could repurpose it into a toolbox!

    Love the Harvest Gold percolator and the hanging storage. It's so much fun to watch your GTB evolve into your personalized micro-home.

    Looking forward to your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wicked looking tool box ! I love reading about all the fun you are having just getting ready for your next trip !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice purchases...love a recycle! We lost our Tuesday Morning store, I'm on the lookout for a hanging door bag storage kit of some kind...how perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good looking tool box. It didn't take us long to realize that we also needed a percolator. I actually found one in our neighbors old family home which they have used for storage the last fifty years. Just a plain old aluminum pot, but it does the job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What clever and creative ideas in your post ! Thank you for sharing -I'll be off to Goodwill looking for a case...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! Or look on eBay for "vintage train cases/vintage cosmetic cases". There's some really neat ones out there.

      Delete
  9. What great finds! I've always used back-of-the-door shoe bags in various closets at home for what-nots that don't seem to go anywhere else. I like the one you have - looks like it holds more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea! I have my mother's white one - same thing, haven't been able to let it go. Thanks for the idea. :) I blogged some time ago that I have my dad's red tea kettle that will go with me in my RV. So, do you use the vintage gold percolator? Either way, that's just way too cool. Thanks for sharing all your finds and tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra. I used it this AM in fact. But, not as a percolator, only to heat water to pour over the grounds in my Melitta filter. It boils water great, that's for sure. And it's just so darned cute!

      Delete

Let's chat !