Thursday, October 11, 2012

Reflections - Alabama Trip




                 Back home & reflecting upon some things I learned on my second outing:


1) Sharing memories may possibly be the absolute best use of one’s time.

2) I like to stand and work on the computer.  Like Elton John typing. 

3) My lower back feels good even after driving for hours – what a pleasant surprise, the captains’ chairs must suit me. 

4) I need to take a hard-copy list of free wifi spots.

5) It’s difficult to multi-task in less than 100 square feet of space.

6) I wish I could talk about propane and propane accessories in a Hank Hill voice.


7) I got the right rig.

From a systems perspective, the trip was a success.  My goal was to learn as much as possible about the GDB.  The only malfunction was the coach battery switch that got stuck "on" but, with the help of the Yahoo Roadtrek group, I was able to find a work-around. I'll get it checked out soon.

Oh, and the DVD player door still refuses to open (after working fine on my Pine Mtn. trip), so I'll see if the company will be willing to replace the unit even though it's out of warranty.  It’s a home theatre system with a radio, dvd/cd player and with an USB port.  Roadtrek uses this one particular unit; not off-the-shelf because it has to be tiny to fit the cabinet slot.

Desoto State Park provided cable but I couldn’t get a signal.  It wasn’t my campsite because it didn’t work when I moved either.  Maybe it’s the cable I took along?  Or maybe the TV is not hooked up to receive cable because the original owner used the in-motion satellite? 

I may end up removing the TV entirely.  It takes up a lot of space and gets in the way of the full view out the passenger-side back window. 
Web Photo
I can watch DVDs on my laptop if I feel the need for some packaged entertainment.  The GDB already has the built-in satellite so I may look in to the pay-as-you-go option but …. do I really want to watch TV?  I’m still trying to figure out the nuances of how I want to travel. 

I’ll spend the next few weeks planning my next trip and following-up on online teaching positions for which I’ve applied.  I’m attending a RT tech rally in Kissimmee, FL the first week of November.  So I might swing by Hilton Head to visit an old friend and make my way down the SC, GA, and FL coasts.  Should be a good time of year to do such a thing.                                                                                       

Expenses
7 days/6 nights
553 miles
Gas
  $ 130
Food      
    $33
Camping
- 4 nights -         
  $111
Sightseeing
      $0
Misc.
     $0
Total        
$274
Average Cost
$39/day
Note: 2 of those days and nights were parked in Charlotte's driveway.  And I spent no money for that 48 hours.

Well, that wraps it up.  Thanks for traveling along!




7 comments:

  1. It took me about a month on the road to decide I wanted a satellite dish for TV. Fulltiming, the winter nights are long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have TV at the house because all the big dish satellites went dark last year and we decided not to go with small dish. I know Craig will probably want to get some sort of satellite in the RV, but a far as I'm concerned I can live without it for ever. I also watch movies on DVD and that is enough for me.

    Glad you had a successful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had no TV when we were traveling a lot but got a big one when we slowed down. Each was right for the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had TV (and no, I was never one of those "I only watch PBS" types) in 8 years, and I don't miss it anywhere, and especially not on the road. I do take Netflix for emergency entertainment, but I try to read, go for a walk, or write in the evenings.

    Your per-day costs were low! Good job. Now, please get to work on that Hank Hill voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I have to have a TV! I like background noise when I'm inside the RV. I like to go to bed with the TV on for awhile before I turn it off at night. I like seeing the news in different areas, when I can get reception. I don't have any cable or satellite system. I just use the dtv box since my TV doesn't seem to have the chip to view regular channels on. And of course, the antenna with the amplifier. So it's just local tv, but that's what I like. Otherwise, there's Hulu or Crackle on the computer if you can get a connection.
    Glad it's all going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had a great trip. Was in Guntersville state park this past Tuesday through Friday playing golf, and see what you meant by the campground being devastated. Looked quite a bit different from the last time we visited. Hate that we missed seeing you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your insights, Kim! You definitely learned a lot from that trip! A few more journeys and I’m sure you will get the hang of it. Are you really taking out your TV? Well, in my opinion, having a little entertainment on the road can be a good thing. But if the TV is taking up a lot of space, it would be best to remove it. Or better yet, get a smaller one that would fit in your RV.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !