Thursday, November 15, 2012

Day 11 – Wednesday November 14th - Fort Clinch State Park, FL


Yep, Florida has it going on state park-wise. 

 I’m tucked away at the Fort Clinch Campground on the banks of the Amelia River which flows into Cumberland Sound.  Another impressive facility.  I’m in the last spot and, as a result, can see my own private beach outside my living room.

Beach to the right

My campsite is right over that dune

The campground here feels exceedingly isolated – it’s down a winding narrow almost 3 mile drive from the park entrance.  It’s beautiful and quiet here at Land's End.

It’s been a blustery grey day, very different from the weather I’ve been experiencing.  It’s a great night for a campfire, that’s for sure.  My water heater is humming away right now; I don’t want to wash up with cold water tonight!  

Stopping for hot coffee and some crossword time this AM was fun as usual.  Wonder if I'll ever get tired of it?



 I also stopped off at Fort Caroline National Monument near Jacksonville.  They have a “Bark Ranger” program for dogs.  The rangers will take your pup’s photo and post it here at the head of the  Nature Trail. 



I wonder how Doris would look in a ranger hat? 

One of the highlights of the day happened as I was motoring along and my GPS pipes up “Turn left.  Board the ferry”.  

Did you say ferry?
  
I didn’t expect that.  Five minutes and six dollars later, I was across St. John's River.  What fun!  I was so excited I had to text John during the 0.2 mile crossing. 


On the other side of the river, the landscape opened up to a beautiful coastal view into and through Amelia Island.  Before continuing to Fort Clinch, I stopped in Fernandina Beach to grab some internet at the local library.  What a charming town! 


So I strolled around ostensibly admiring the buildings and the waterfront but really trolling for she-crab soup.  Or something like it.  I was stopped for lunch earlier in the GDB and thinking how nice it would be to have a fresh seafood dish for dinner and this fella pulls in right in front of me.  It was , literally, a good sign.


So I searched around town and scored a bowl of clam chowder from the Marina Restaurant for dinner tonight.  If it’s one thing I’ve learned, when a seafood restaurant has those paper placemats – you know the ones, with the local ads? – the food is gonna be good. 


They have lunch specials from 11 – 2 so maybe I'll show up tomorrow if I'm not traveling to Cumberland National Seashore.  I may do that on Friday so I won't have to double-back to get to Okefenokee Wildlife Refuge.  I want to stop off and visit fellow blogger Judy on my way home. 

Back to today.  After I got hooked up, I did some housekeeping.  This is a broom and dustpan that I won as a door prize at the Roadtrek rally and it’s really come in handy what with all the sand I’m tracking in the house.  My new step really helps though.    




I was thinking just now, walking around the campground, about how far I’ve come since August when I picked up the GDB; I was all eager but anxious too.  It was a big step, of course.   

But here I am now, two short months later, learning every day about how to live on the road and gaining confidence in the operation and care of my rig.  All I can say is that it’s been a deeply satisfying few months.  I’m sure you all know what I mean!       





   


19 comments:

  1. I was so afraid for a while that you had shelved your dreams. It is SO good to see you on the road and going for it!

    Best yet is letting us tag along with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for giving me encouragement along the way!

      Delete
  2. Way to go scoring the clam chowder and feeling all fuzzy seeing the paper placements...good call! I love my tiny dust broom and pan...great for tight corners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought I would use the term "magnificent" to describe this dust broom. But it really is.

      Delete
  3. I know exactly what you mean! love reading your stuff, Kim... just great... I remember your anxiousness ... what great fun.

    "Stopping for hot coffee and some crossword time this AM was fun as usual. Wonder if I'll ever get tired of it?"

    I don't think so. I don't. I would love to be able to do that ... I couldn't determine if you were talking about in your 'home' or on the road ... I love going into the coffee places and soaking in the local stuff ... getting their paper and doing the crossword...

    I love it.... been doing that a long time ... you will always like what you like... know what I mean?

    I'm trying to unlike pie... oh, freakin sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unliking pie. Hmmmm .... is that even possible? Good luck with that!

      Delete
  4. I know exactly what you mean about discovering new places. Now that you have learned how to and enjoy living on the road, how will you stay at home for any length of time. Doris and John will be very glad to have you home. Staying home..may become mundane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill,

      I'm so very fortunate that I love my home life as much as I love doing this. Not a day goes by that I'm not grateful that I can say that.

      Delete
  5. Looking at the picture of you sweeping your step reminded me of a trick I've learned you might like--or not as the case may be. I went to Walmart and bought a woven cotton placemat. I tuck it into that black interior step. It helps keep me from tracking in wet stuff and when doing laundry I just throw it in too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kimmer, You'll be teaching us stuff by the time you get to Quartzsite !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I consider Q-site my boondocking internship.

      Delete
  7. I'll try to stop by late tomorrow afternoon to see if you've arrived. Looking forward to meeting you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Judy! It was great to meet a fellow blogger. I so admire what you are doing with your life.

      Delete
  8. She-crab soup! Wow! Haven't had any of that since we lived in Charleston, SC back in the last century. Thought that was the only place it was available. I'm cravin' some, now.
    Also, as the old commercial once said; you've come a long way, lady. So glad everything is going your way, now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gee, Jerry. I apologize. That's a terrible thing to do to someone. Does it help to know that I'm having a microwavable breakfast sandwich for dinner tonight?

      Delete
  9. Yes, I know exactly what you mean. It is really satisfying to successfully lead this crazy life and enjoy it so much. Something new every day. I'm happy with my decision and so glad I took the leap into full-timing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so much fun reading your blog. I'm glad I stopped by. You are very enlightning :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TexCyn! I'm glad you stopped by too!

      Delete

Let's chat !