Saturday, November 10, 2012

Day 6 - Friday November 9 - Cocoa Beach


Busy day. 



 It started early as I wanted to give myself plenty of time to get to Winter Garden for my appointment.  The whole operation took about 2 hours and the patient did very well.  My battery panel now reads “good” rather than just “charging” or “low”.  The anode also got changed.  The people at Leisure Time were very professional; I was impressed.


I love 'em already!
While I was waiting John let me know that the people I interviewed with for the online teaching job emailed me and needed me to fill out some more documents STAT!  That figures – I wait around 3 weeks with no word and then, boom, I have to submit the stuff within 24 hours.  So, after the repairs, that became my priority. 

 I found the nearest library and spent an hour and-a-half completing all the forms.  So I’m one step closer to being able to work on the road!
Winter Garden Public Library
I had it in mind that tonight might be my first boondocking/stealth parking experience.  And it did work out that way.  We’ll see how successful I was if I’m able to get through the night without the dreaded knock on the door.  I’m parked at Cape Canaveral Hospital which is surrounded by water on 3 sides.  I told John you could sit on my hood and fish.  Seriously. 


I broke the first rule of boondocking near a public business and didn’t ask permission.  I started to, but something warned me away.  I’ll sleep fully dressed just in case.  If I do get evicted, I have a Plan B – there is a Publix about a mile down the road where I shopped earlier that should be OK. 

I’m in the hospital cafeteria now catching up on blogs etc….  I’ve got a quiet corner with a big table all to myself.  Perfect! 



Hey, I figure I’ve spent enough time helping patients in hospitals that I deserve a freebie.  How’s that for a rationalization?


11 comments:

  1. Never thought about a hospital parking lot, but I'll bet no one bothers you. How would they know that you're not there taking care of a loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I am a new reader and love your blog! I don't have my RV yet and look to those of you who do for inspiration. You rock! I hope hear about the job soon and I have a few blogger friends that routinely use hospital parking lots - hopefully you slept undisturbed. Question - you write from 1st person and refer to John, but are he and Doris not with you? I only ask because am trying to narrow in on the rig I want. It's just me but I have 2 furbabies. Thanks! Happy, safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra,

      Gee - thanks Debra!

      Doris and John are homebodies. John does like to travel .... but only to and from the golf course.

      I will bring Big D along when I can but, right now, I don't need another distraction as I'm learning how to live in my rig. Thanks for following!

      Delete
  3. I too never thought about using a hospital . By the time we get going, everywhere will have good free WiFi, but a hospital cafiteria seems like a good place because you can get something to eat or drink. In a large hospital there would be lots of people who are just hanging out or taking a break from their loved nes room so no one would think it strange that you set up your laptop for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Lots happening! Sure hope the online teaching work comes through for you.

    And boondocking at a hospital. Beautiful scenery and a cafeteria for an office. Sounds perfect! Hope you make it through the night undisturbed.

    And yeah, with your background, you deserve it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another good place is airports. Many municipal airports don't even have parking fees and are especially good for b-vans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, Leisure Time has free wifi too to be used while you spend time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ST! Glad you made it to my blog. I thought about taking my laptop in but did the crossword instead. And talked to a couple who, like me, had just come from the rally with, unlike me, a busted sewer hose. Nice folks! They were able to get in and out pretty quickly.

      Delete
  7. Great idea about the parking lot! great to hear about the job. Hope the process goes fast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea about the parking lot! great to hear about the job. Hope the process goes fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, nitewriter. You know how this goes all too well. They candid during my interview and told me that it would be about 4 months before I receive any compensation. I appreciate them telling me that.

      Delete

Let's chat !