Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Day 9 - Monday November 12th - Anastasia State Park, FL


 Darkness is descending here in the campground at Anastasia State Park although it’s only 4:30.  The plant life is so dense the sun can barely make it through.  I’m in a lovely campsite with no neighbors (yet) on either side.  I realize now they put me in a loop where big rigs can’t go.  In fact, I’m the only motorhome here – there are 3 other occupied sites, all tenters.  I am really beginning to enjoy all the little household chores that are involved with setting up a new camp.  Does anyone else feel that way? 


The sites are secluded and, again, with all the dense foliage, you would never know you are in whistling distance from the ocean – except you can hear the roar.  It sounds like a superhighway.  When you think about it, I guess it is. 

Here are some park scenes.




Speaking of roaring surfs, I went through a stretch of Highway A1A today and was surprised at how closely the waves came to the road.  Maybe it was high tide but it was such fun to ride along with the roiling surf. 

One of the things I love most about traveling in the bus is pulling off the road when you see an inviting place.  I stopped for coffee this morning and here was my view. 



It made me very happy. 


I am just a few miles from St. Augustine and will explore town tomorrow.  Not sure if I will stay another night but the ranger assured me it shouldn’t be a problem should I choose to stay. 

I visited Fort Matanzas on the way here.  Forts are not my favorite National Park sites so I didn’t take the ferry over to the fort itself.  But I toured the visitor’s center, got my NP stamp, and walked the nature trail.  I learned that the Saw Palmetto is quite the survivor as its trunk is mostly buried.  This trait protects it from fire.  As a result, after a wildfire, the Palmetto is the first to sprout new leaves. 


I continued to practice my beachcombing skills here at the park with its 4 miles of protected shore.  Another day of ideal weather.  I'm getting spoiled! 

This man is being pulled along by
this kite


And some of us opt for more sedate pursuits


Looking forward to a quiet evening so I can get my crossword puzzle fix and catch up on some reading. 


5 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I haven't been home for 48 hrs from the Kissimmee trip and I want to take the RT out again. There are still places I haven't been and people I want to see. I hope to take time to travel again next week, to Cumberland Island, Georgia and the Eighth Army Air Corp Museum in Pooler,Georgia.
    Safe traveling to you Kim. Enjoy the sights and sounds of the Atlantic coast while you have them at your doorstep.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm another one who likes visitor center displays so I can learn about a park without having to hike to every part of it. So much to learn; so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a nice site! And you can hear the ocean?? It sounds like you are folding very nicely right into the RVing life. It really is wonderful, isn't it.

    I was thinking the other day that I never had a play house when I was little - and now I do. Except big girl play houses have wheels and I never have to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anastasia State Park and St. Augustine are two of my favorite places in the world. I really loved visiting the area again through your blog.

    What fun to get to tag along with you!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !