Monday, January 14, 2013

Bump-ectomy


Oh Happy Day!  The hideous black bump is gone! 




Finally, my van looks more like a van and less like a federal surveillance vehicle.  I’ve wanted to get rid of The Eyesore ever since I brought the GDB home.  Even the guys at Satellite Electronics Inc. in downtown Quartzsite were like “yeah, that’s pretty ugly”.  No more questions about the bump, no more jokes about the bump.  Bump gone.
My plan today, like everyone else’s, was to stay inside and keep warm.  The 28 degree wind-chill dictated that decision.  But I got a message from my new employer that they required a notarized form.  So I searched online for a notary, found one on Main Street, and drove the 4 miles into town. 

Once that was finished, I decided to see to some of the mods I had planned for the GDB.
The first order of business, of course, was to excise the big black tumor.  Done.  Next I went to an RV supplier where a nice gentleman checked my hard-to-reach generator oil gauge and determined I don’t need to add any oil.  (I’ve been using the genny more often lately to keep the batteries charged). Done.

I asked that he look at the interior lights to see what LED bulbs I would need.  For those of you who don’t know, LED bulbs use 90% less energy compared to regular bulbs. In a stunning development, he told me that my 4 main light fixtures are compact fluorescent bulbs (also energy efficient) and the other smaller fixtures are halogen.  Another done. 

Got back to camp in time to attend the women’s seminar.  It was an enlightening encounter and further confirmed the fact that I’m in the right place at the right time.  We had introductions all round as each of us told our story of the road to the road.  Common themes emerged: gypsy DNA, the path of schooljobmarriagefamily, mid-life reassessment.  Mix all that together, add a dash of Carpe Diem, and .... here we are! 

The mercury will drop to 25 tonight but this should be the tail end of the cold snap.  Tomorrow is to be a little warmer, Wednesday warmer still, and Thursday will bring a return to normal with highs in the 60’s. 
Tomorrow I vow to do at least 2 crossword puzzles in order to balance today’s productivity!





22 comments:

  1. Oh, no wonder! I looked across the wash and didn't see where you were. There was a rig that looked like yours, but didn't have the black dome. Much sleeker looking!
    Loved the women's seminar. Lots of great stories and similarities. Looking forward to the Thursday session.
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I changed addresses! Currently located in "Girlstown" down the road.

      Delete
  2. Aren't halogen lights those hotter-than-the-Sun, ultra-high wattage lightbulbs that you can't touch with your hands or look at with bare eyes?

    It's good that tumor was curable with a little surgery. Was it a satellite thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are they? Now I want to look at them and touch them to see.

      It was an in-motion satellite. As much as I enjoy watching television while driving, I'm trying to cut down.

      Delete
  3. I never noticed the black dome in your other photos. I hope to meet-up with some other solo women travelers someday. At the jobs I have been working on the road - there are a lot of couples. It's cold here in TX, too. I think our night time lows will be in the 40's and its damp so it feels colder. You are just where you should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teri. At the seminar we remarked about how many of us there are out there.

      Delete
  4. Over the last two years I've switched out several of my lights to LED. Expensive for sure but worth it because I boondock all the time. I also switched out the fluorescent ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sassie,

      Send me your email/cell number so we can meet when the weather improves.

      Delete
  5. What was the black bump? a vent thing? oh, just saw the Ducks comment ... a satellite thing ah... well? Gypsy DNA .. HAHaaa ~ sounds like a great seminar... an explanation and collaboration with like souls ...

    Two crosswords? dang! that's a ~ you mean outta the little Dell book? or the New York Times or the Daily kind of crossword? I mean there are degrees of non productivity ... that's my forte. a NY Times puzzle is way too much thinking.

    Eating pie and the pursuit of pie is what I go for after a day of being nonproductive. I've got registration and maintenance and taxes to do ... hate that stuff. That amount of busyness will incur a bunch of pie pursuing.

    JEeeeez just saw more 20 degree freezing rain stuff here tomorrow. Glad I'm indoors with a great view and thank goodness pie is a cold 10 minutes away. hah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe how cold it's been there this year. I do hope it will warm up and stay that way. Too cold for a Fla gal huh? I know it's too cold for this Texas gal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alabama, but yes, far too cold. But now I know I can boondock under less-than-ideal conditions. Hope you are doing well, TexCyn.

      Delete
  7. But now you can't mess with all the paranoid people who thought you were staking them out with the neat black probe on your camper. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I thought about that. I'm convinced that bump got me kicked out of my first blacktop boondocking attempt - at a hospital in Cocoa Beach. The officer said my van looked suspicious. He was right.

      Delete
  8. The cold is moving this way and we've had rain for the past 24 hours and another 24 to go. UGH! Was the satellite not working? Is that why you took if off? I had to laugh at your satellite surveillance comment. Having done private investigating work for about 5 years, I would have loved a dome for that purpose! LOL I never noticed on the pictures. If I had, certainly I would have made jokes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I would have laughed because it WAS funny. I got rid of it for several reasons (other than the butt-ugly one) - I don't watch TV, I would have to pay for a subscription, and I would have to get a receiver and give up valuable storage space.

      Delete
  9. I didn't notice the black bump, either, but you DO look sleeker now. I'd love to have an antenna bump, though. They automatically find the channels without having to stand on my dinette seat and manually turn the antenna for the best reception for each channel. Sometimes all the channels come in at the same pointing location, other times it has to be turned. I wouldn't pay for a subscription, though.

    You're getting a lot out of Quartzsite - I'm so glad you made the trip! You're right - it's amazing that we get to enjoy this lifestyle in the middle of the desert, and other people will live and die without even knowing they had that option. We're so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Barbara. Not a day goes by that I don't feel grateful.

      I do have one minor "bump" left (more like a raised lesion) that is the antenna. I wouldn't want to do without that. For the rare times I've watched TV, it makes a big difference. If I were full-timing, it would be a must.

      Delete
  10. Quartzsite and the Tribe has been interesting. After nights of boondocking in desert now camp free in the land of 24 hr buffets at the Luxor, in Las Vegas. There are many RVs here and six restaurants close by in the Luxor. Cold outside.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill,

      Were you here? There is a camp of Class Bs out on 95 toward Parker.

      I love the Luxor!!! I never stayed there but have played poker there and eaten my compliment at the buffet - the one downstairs that looks like a tomb excavation.

      They allow free RV parking?

      Delete
  11. Heya i'm for the primary time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I'm hoping
    to give one thing again and helρ others such aѕ you helped me.


    Mу site Americas cardroom poker promotions

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !