Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Crash Course in Van Living

Front Yard

Back Yard

I was thinking this AM about how far I’ve come, literally and figuratively, the past few months. 
This is my 4th trip since purchasing the RT back in August.  My first trip was 1 night long, the next 1 week, the next 2 weeks, and this one has stretched to 18 days and counting.

The #1 goal for this trip was to enjoy being on the road.  My secondary goal was to continue to increase my proficiency in GDB-living.  Goal #1 was met the second I got behind the wheel.  As for goal 2, here's what I've accomplished:
  • Drove over 2200 miles to get here without any major mishaps. 
  • Spent 15 nights in the GDB on this trip.  Six of those nights were in state park campgrounds with hook-ups. 
  • Boondocked at the RTR.  And done it under some tough winter conditions.  I was a little anxious about it.  I’ve not only survived but gained confidence.  All the while enjoying the experience immensely (and in surprising comfort). 
  • Learned, learned, learned.  All day, every day.  I spent the cold windy afternoon reading the Roadtrek manual for the 3rd time and am finally gaining a deeper understanding of the technology.  
  • Gazed almost the entire day at the beautiful 360-degree views.  I look forward to some long walks in the coming warm days.   
It’s enormously satisfying to meet these challenges.  I say this, not in a self-congratulatory way, I say it because if I can do it, anyone can. 


11 comments:

  1. You go girl! This has been a hard year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should warm up here in AZ. My neighbors sidewalk was frozen over yesterday. The water was from his sprinklers. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once you experience it, it's hard to get out of your blood! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And, I say too - you go girl. It is a tremendous surge when you realize "I can do this". Hooray.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never had any doubts about you and your traveling ... from the get go ... knowledge is power...

    write that down... lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing great! You'll become more and more familiar with your systems as time passes as you use them. RV's are simply great! I do hope it warms up soon for everyone there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait until you want to get into solar and have to understand all of that !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep my RV manuals close at hand all the time, and I can't count the number of times I used them when I had a question or problem. And I know exactly what you mean about the challenges. I love learning the new things, and especially now, after so many months on the road. You don't have to "get" everything at once, but it sure is satisfying to meet the challenges. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good points...all of them. And so much fun to read about for us too! Not to mention how much we're learning through you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something to be said about the cold temps...allowed you to read the manual THREE times lol :O) Warmer temps on the horizon and you'll be ready to hit the trail! So refreshing to read those "doing it"...you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the time to write posts like this. I am so proud of you. Thanks for the hope and inspiration. HugZ!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !