Monday, January 28, 2013

Javalinas, Bobcats, and Ducks!


The only photo I got is of the ducks.  Full-timers and authors of the endlessly entertaining blog The Good Luck Duck. 

Kim, Roxanne, Annie

We met for coffee this morning and had a nice visit.  What a great couple of women!  I hope to meet up with them again one day.

Later, I was taking the scenic drive over Gates Pass and paused to admire the view ....


 .... and encountered this gila woodpecker.



Spent the rest of the day at The Desert Museum.  I never imagined being in the desert on a cold blustery day staring at sea horses. 
And garden eels.  I could watch these fascinating creatures all day.
Web Photo


The hummingbird house was cool.



This gentleman gave us a rattlesnake demonstration.  It was an informative talk but has dampened my enthusiasm for desert hiking.  Possibly forever. 


In a case of rotten timing, my camera battery died right before the raptor free flight demonstration.  Trainers work with the various raptors and, during the demonstration, explain the behavior you are witnessing up close.  And I mean close.  The birds fly directly over your head.  If you were so inclined, you could reach up and touch one. 
Web Photo
We observed a barred owl and a flock of Harris hawks doing their thing.  But the star of the show was the fastest animal on earth - the peregrine falcon. 

Web Photo

These raptors travel at speeds up to 240 MPH.  It was astonishing to watch her fly and swoop.  I’ve never seen a bird move that fast! 

Sadly, I have no photos of the fox, the bobcats, or the herd of napping javelinas. 
Thanks to everyone who advised me not to miss this place!!! 

26 comments:

  1. We had a great time with you this morning and are looking forward to our paths crossing again!

    Glad you liked the desert museum, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Annie! It was a pleasure to see you both in person. Let's stay in touch.

      Delete
  2. Great pictures again, Kim.... we're having a shortest hair discussion on WGS... LOL ... Annie and Theresa are hair to hair...

    garden eels? wow

    I love going to those Raptor shows ... absolutely fascinating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I would have won that contest a year ago. Not now - I'm letting it grow cause I can! BTW, I tried your shampoo yesterday and it's a keeper. I'll blog about it soon.

      Delete
  3. Yes, this place is truly amazing. It was really HOT when we were there so we didn't go outside much...but I'd love to go back again. I think there is so much to see and learn there. Definitely worth the time and money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the opposite experience today - it was so COLD and windy. We were all bundled against the cold. The javalinas were bunched together like a litter of puppies. But, yes, well worth the time and money.

      Delete
  4. Kim, You are getting to see and do so many things and loving everyone of them ! Good Stuff !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kim! Sounds like i need to add the desert museum to my list!

    And lucky you, meeting up with those ducks! I'm looking forward to that one day, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to see the Ducks in person. Lovely folks.

      Delete
  6. Wow, sounds like you had quite an amazing day (even if it was cold and blustery). I finally made it to the Desert Museum last Spring and wondered what the heck took me so long, but I didn't get to see the raptor free flight or the rattlesnake demonstration...so you've given me some new reasons to go back!

    Terrific that you got to meet the Ducks in-person--always fun to meet fellow bloggers and share stories, tips and tricks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne - isn't it great. Yes, go back for the free flight, it's an unforgettable experience.

      Delete
  7. 240 mph?!? I didn't know that. Wow. Ducks can travel up to 4 mph, in short spurts.

    It was great meeting you! I look forward to the next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It was fun chatting in person with you 2. I'm confident we will meet up again somewhere on the road ...

      Delete
  8. I think I saw the same two ducks. But, whatever you do DON'T stop and see THE THING. Of course, if you stop for some DQ, then you might as well see it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THE THING. Ha ha. We didn't get sucked in to that, but we did get the DQ. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have to do the thing to do DQ or do you have to do DQ to do the thing? Either way works for me!

      Delete
    2. OMG, you guys are driving me crazy! I HAVE TO KNOW.

      Delete
  10. WOW, Kim. If we ever make it out there, the Desert Museum is now at the top of my MUST see list! Absolutely loved your photos!

    I'm in awe of the speed of the peregrine falcon. I would not have believed that speed could be attained by any living thing on earth. What a wonder!

    But I'm with you on desert hiking and rattlesnakes. EWWWWWW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm seeing rattlesnakes everywhere now. Including places they would never be. But I know they are there anyway.

      Delete
  11. Oh Kim, I did not know you had come to Tucson.
    When I go into your blog it always came out on your last trip. So after reading the Ducks I went and clicked home and there you are.
    Are you still here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo - left Tucson this AM and am currently in Tombstone catching up on email and croissants. I just heard gunfire. I guess that's normal around here?

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. I thought about you! The aviary had a very knowledgeable bird lady positioned to ID the birds and point them out to us visitors.

      Delete
  13. Well that's to bad. Would have loved to meet you. Yes gun fire mean's there's a show going on. Where are you staying?

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !