Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Mesa, AZ

Talk about contrasts!

 

After 11 days desert boondocking, tonight I find myself at Mesa Regal RV Resort. 

Where everyone has her own grapefruit tree. 


It’s a 55+ community so I don’t even qualify until next month.  Bummer they didn’t question whether I was eligible or not!   

I’m here for the night partly because the public campgrounds are scarce here in Mesa and, if you require a laundry room as much as I do, the list is even shorter.  So I thought …. what the heck, I’ll stay for the experience (and the automatic washers and dryers).  

Well, it’s charming.  Just full of nice seniors who have worked hard all their lives and got themselves a slice of the American Pie.  And everyone is smiling!  Maybe because Happy Hour starts at 3:30?  There are a couple of beautiful pools, hot tubs, shopping, a bar, billiard room, library, beauty salon, and some white hot bocce ball action.  Who knew? 

Lots of cute little houses on cute little streets.

It’s 85 degrees and I have the A/C on as I wait for my clothes to dry.  Quite a contrast in temps on this trip too.   I’m also getting 46 digital channels.  Like I said, stark contrast. 

Said a bittersweet goodbye to my RTR buds.  I can’t wait to come back next year.
Before I pulled out, Bob checked my roof to ensure that the satellite folks did a good job plugging the holes left by that awful dome.  They did.  He also opined that I could easily mount a 220 watt solar panel.  That takes care of the if, now for the when.



Stopped on the way out of town at Quartzsite's best-known bookstore.  It's a great shop, good quality books at good prices.  And, no, the owner was fully clothed today. 



I told him I wanted to read one of Zane Gray's quintessential western set in Arizona and he suggested the classic "Riders of the Purple Sage".  Grabbed it for $2.50.                                          

                                                                                         

Stopped for lunch at Los Toquitoes in Phoenix featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. 

Muy Caliente!  Muy Bueno!   

Tomorrow I'll make a Wal-Mart run, then head for the Case Grande Ruins National Monument about an hour south of here on the way to Tucson.  There are 60 prehistoric Native American sites preserved there. 

For more on the RTR through the eyes of Randy see:  Mobile Kodger

17 comments:

  1. Case Grande is where Nurse Ratchet hails from. It's changed a lot from 30 years ago. He says there's a Walmart across the street now. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh-la-la! No doubt I will stop into that WMT tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Happy Trails! Take some time ad go to the hot tub. Water is good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had some antibiotics with me, I would for sure.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes civilization is very welcome -- especially when you need to do laundry! Loved your description of the happy campers.

    And a 250 watt solar panel.... that sounds like a PLAN! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine the GDB being a better home than it is right this minute. But maybe .....

      Delete
  4. Sorry to have missed you. Denise is healing slowly but getting there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - just ran out of time. And our camp was 5 miles down a rutted washboard road (well, you know, you were there). That really cut down on my visiting. Glad Sassy is better!

      Delete
  5. Whoo eee, we are off again. Have had so much fun "riding" along with you on this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really interesting seeing Q from your perspective ... just never had a real yen to go other than for the gem show when I had my shop.

    What fun this has been and I love where you are now... lol ... they didn't ask for ID? ... dang... I remember that well.... oh, baruther

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe I've waited two years to meet you "in person" and GOT SICK during the whole time you were here !! Grrrr

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I'd might want to stay there a couple of nights just to recoup. Nice laundry area. And Yum, your own grapefruit tree, with fruit on it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gotta love the Diners and Dives...was it good? New stop over is a beauty...be nice to regroup and who doesn't love an old fashioned bookstore. Nice score on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He dresses, ever? You was robbed. Is there another bookstore in Q, or were you being facetious?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was there when he opened at 10-ish and it was chilly. Perhaps the prospect of shrinkage was a factor?

      Delete
  11. I love that you went to the Oasis book store. Paul Winer is a good friend of mine and he does were clothes when it's cold or he goes for a ride on a motorcycle.

    I just heard from him the other day. My partner is an author and we are usually there this time of year and we plug in at his shop and stay about a month in January or Feb. Doesn't look like we'll be going this year, but so glad to hear he is doing great.

    If you ask him, he'll play the piano if he's in the mood. You'll be in for a real treat! He's a hoot!

    Have fun and I'll be joining you on the road soon myself.

    Sky aka Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !