Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Pedernales State Park, TX


Note: This post is a day behind.  There is no wi-fi in the lower reaches of the park.  But lots of deer!



Arrived in Texas Hill Country early this afternoon The campground sits in a valley and is gloriously quiet.  The surrounding tree-studded hills must prevent wi-fi in the campground proper (though I get a signal up the hill at the Park Headquarters).  Oddly enough, I can pick up BBC News on the telly!



About last night.  My closed-campground parking lot adventure would have been fine except for the fireworks that started at 5 PM and ended shortly after 2 AM.  The booming blasts were constant, coming from some distance away but from every direction.  I don’t know who these people were but they were a festive bunch.  It was like trying to sleep on the Western Front.  I got up at 6:30 and got out of there after a quick breakfast. 
It rained on the drive for over an hour, off and on, just enough to keep you on your toes.  But the road was well-surfaced and the traffic light.  What a relief to be off the interstate! 

U.S. 290

Stopped at the Bastrop Wal-Mart for provisions.  Very friendly town – people look you in the eye, nod, smile, say hi. 

I picked up a USB cord for my Garmin because it occurred to me last night, during the mortar fire, that my GPS may be all wonky because the Western US maps are not installed.  I’ll see if I can load them tomorrow.  She can still guide me to a non-specific location, like a town, but can’t tell me where the next What-A-Burger is.  Instead of saying “turn left”, she says “drive west”.  Well, if I knew where west was, I wouldn’t need a GPS, now would I? 
Look forward to touring the nearby LBJ sites tomorrow.  I’ve always been fascinated by the man’s character, his frightening ambition fueled by an ego the size of his birth-state.  

It’s almost dark and the 3-day cloud cover is beginning to dissipate.  If it keeps up, I bet you can see some stars tonight.  I hear they shine big and bright. 

I'll have a light dinner of cheese and fruit, maybe some peanut butter and banana.  Followed by a healthy slice of Wal-Mart Turtle Cake.  Then a bit of reading before lapsing into a coma-like sleep.     



19 comments:

  1. You were in our neck of the woods.

    When you were at Pedernales State Park, did you go see the waterfall? Lovely area. Too bad about the fireworks, however.

    Best to you on your travels.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to see the waterfall tomorrow (assuming it's "working", it's awfully dry here). Also want to hike down to the River.

      Delete
    2. That's some beautiful country right there.

      Delete
  2. LOL, Swiss Miss Dark Chocolate Cocoa puts me to sleep and is hopefully less calories than Turtle Cake. I visited parts of the LBJ land a few months ago, I only went to the ranch area (closer to Hwy 290) and did not go to the other location. I enjoyed walking around and they had longhorn cattle there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was completely taken with the Ranch today. Great experience.

      Delete
  3. ahhh Pedernales ... that's the area Willie Nelson said noo no nooooo no to the IRS when they were confiscating everything of his ... everything but NOT my Pedernales ranch... !

    You really need a smart phone ... I ask Siri where the next whatever is ... then I go to the map provided and the arrows and directions say go left and so forth.

    Before this latest upgrade? WHERE's west? absolutely ... drove me insane! with that nonsense... I downloaded a compass so I could determine where west was ... well? you had to get outta your car for it to work...

    This new upgrade even upgraded the compass... I can look and see where west is...

    Yes... lots of Longhorn cattle around there... King's Ranch is on down south a bit ... great pie at that little restaurant... ding blast it! they even advertise great pie... aw jeeez - great place been there forever ... Marble Falls ... hmm I'll see if I can find it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah... pie happy hour ... SERIOUSLY

      http://www.bluebonnetcafe.net/ --- it's about 20 miles or so on Highway 281 out of Johnson City ...

      Fredericksburg is an awfully cute little town too to the west of JC then, y'see you can go back north a bit on 281 then on over to Austin ... that whole loop thing is very interesting country

      sigh ---

      Delete
    2. I just looked at the Bluebonnet website and google-mapped it. Looks like it's about 35 minutes north of the direction I'm going. I like pie, but .....

      I'll be going thru Fredericksburg though on my way out of Austin. I hear it's pretty cool.

      Delete
  4. I got tickled at your GPS saying "drive west." Our GPS got us seriously lost a couple of times.

    Sometimes a compass helps. At least you know what direction you are driving in. I keep one in the truck now.

    Also, GPS is fantastic for town directions. But in remote areas, a paper map can't be beat.

    Yeah, LBJ was scary. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I'm usually not without a compass. But the dashboard compass in the van never has worked. I've recalibrated it several times with no luck. It's got a worse sense of direction than I do! I need to get it fixed before the warranty expires.

      Delete
  5. Just love the pictures of your GDB. Can't wait for the day I can start my travels. Thanks for letting me follow along on yours for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley,

      I'm so glad you are along for the ride, even if it's only figuratively. Good luck in your endeavor to hit the road!

      Delete
  6. That looks like a good camp site, appearance wise. Sorry, about the noise, but I even had the booms here in stick and brick. GPS saying West instead of left, oh my, I would be in big time trouble. In past 2 years, GPS went caput twice. I now carry a back-up GPS, it's just as important as the engine and transmission for me. I went to both LBJ's and Lady Bird's flower garden also, You will enjoy! That was not last trip, but 2 years ago. At LBJ boyhood home, the bed in his room with the baseball glove on it, I have bed like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention that glove and ball. The docent told me that LBJ was not a very good pitcher as a boy but he ALWAYS got to be pitcher. Because he was the only one with a ball! If he didn't get his way, he'd take his ball and go home. I think that's where his love of power might have started. I've thought about the image of his little bed so often since seeing it yesterday.

      Delete
  7. I'm assuming healthy as in big, as opposed to healthy as in healthy?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the campsite...this one, not the parking lot one so much. Hope you have stars tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn. It's a lovely campground. I slept thru the stars though.

      Delete
  9. Love the campsite...this one, not the parking lot one so much. Hope you have stars tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !