Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Baton Rouge, LA


Made it to Baton Rouge late this morning.  I am staying the night here on College Road close to the LSU campus.  I thought perhaps this was a rare 2-story Wal-Mart, but, no – it just has an exceedingly high ceiling.


Baton Rouge is special town for me.  John & I lived here for 4 years from 1985 – 1989.  We really loved it here and have returned as visitors several times since then.  We had good times, good friends, and really good food.  It took a long time after we moved away from here before our taste buds became re-accustomed to the usual fare.  Everything tasted so dull!
Speaking of which.  I don’t know if other RVers are like me and always on the lookout for condiments.  I scored big today and got these creole seasoning packets.  Only in Louisiana!



I drove around our old neighborhood, where we had our first house, with its pretty lawns and even larger oaks now.  It was sadly nostalgic, probably because all that was so long ago.  I thought about how much life has changed since then and all the people we’ve lost - the 2-leggers and the 4-leggers.  I really wished John was with me. 
Stopped at Brewbacher’s for a late lunch and the customary oyster po-boy, an old favorite.




It was mediocre.  The bread was dry, there wasn’t enough dressing, and the oysters weren’t seasoned well.  The po-boy, fries, and tea came to $15.48! 
Earlier in the day, I had to stop here in Gonzales, LA.




We just don’t have these in my little hometown.  With 165,000 sq. ft. of retail space, a restaurant, a wildlife museum, nature trail, lake, and aquarium, there was plenty to see and do.  Free!  Can you believe I walked out of there without buying anything? 


Sorry so blurry but, as I discovered today, when a Large-Mouth Bass comes straight for you, there's not much reaction time. 

Note the Mardi Gras beads. 

BTW, I checked with management and this Cabela's does allow overnight parking.   Though it's not open 24 hours, it appears to be a safe area and would make a nice overnight stop. 
In other news, I had my first faculty meeting tonight.  An online meeting is infinitely better than the face-to-face version.  I think I’m going to like this distance-teaching gig!


                               Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez!



13 comments:

  1. Old homesteads sure do bring the past back, don't they? Hope tomorrow is sunnier and the food is better.

    Appreciated the update on the job. I find landing that position one of the most fascinating aspects of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will be interesting to see the result of combining work and travels. That will be a big focus of my blog going forward, I think.

      Delete
  2. Guess you'll be home very soon now. What an adventure you've had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been great! I'm ready to get home though. I'm so lucky to have the best of both worlds.

      Delete
  3. What an ideal life - work and pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks good on paper. We'll see what reality is like.

      Delete
  4. Bon Temps... I'm ready for a new season of True Blood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like visiting places we used to live but things usually have changed so much it's almost unrecognizable. I have found our homes from when I was just a toddler -- it's fun to look back. Makes me appreciate where we are now (figuratively and literally) that much more.

    Love those online meetings. My school keeps to an agenda and never longer than an hour -- usually quite a bit shorter.

    Any news yet about a class assignment timetable?

    When will you be home and what are your plans for the next trip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The meetings last one hour. At the one hour mark, the Program Director wrapped it up swiftly. Nice!

      I should be home in a few days. I'll be shadowing a research course in March and hope to have my own assignment in April.

      Delete
  6. Is that the town where Jo and Steve had the record shop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy. The record shop was in Auburn, where we live now.

      Delete
  7. Tony's is featured in many of my blog pix because it is sprinkled on so many things. Hubby born and raised in NOLA = Tabasco and Tony's!

    I find it in the regular grocery stores in the spice area even here in Arizona. Alabama is close enough to Louisiana for it to be a staple spice, yes? The packets that you found would be really good to keep out humidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judilyn!

      Yes, we use it often. But I never dreamt of finding it in little RV-friendly condiment packs.

      Delete

Let's chat !