Saturday, February 16, 2013

Home Again!


How lovely to be home!  Especially a freshly-painted one.  Our friend Jamie did a magnificent job.  It feels like a new house. 
Doris was rather underwhelmed to see me. 

She has decided, in my absence, that John is her special favorite.  With good reason!  He’s mine too.
I’ve been busy going through mail, washing loads of laundry, cleaning out the GDB, and just doing some general organizing.   I'm enjoying using all the water I want!  There will be plenty to keep me occupied in the near future: doctors’ appointments, tax prep, and of course – planning for my next trip! 

I long to go where the buffalo roam.  Probably late Spring. 



And I’ll spend the next month or so trying to get a handle on my new career as an online nursing professor.  In March, I will be shadowing a fellow faculty member who is teaching a research course.   My first class assignment should start in April.  

My new office?
In further news, I have an interview this week with a graduate program.  The position is one of Clinical Faculty Advisor and would include some travel to clinical teaching sites and overseeing students’ learning experiences.  I’ve always enjoyed that type of thing in the past. 

However, I’m concerned that where they will need me to travel will not be necessarily where I want to go.  For example: think Buffalo, New York in February or Pascagoula, Mississippi in July.  I’ll know more next week whether it’s a good fit or not. 
In the next few days, I’ll post a wrap-up of my trip. 

BTW, thanks to everyone for following along!


17 comments:

  1. wow, Kim... such good stuff ;)

    Great fun traveling with you and look forward to the next adventure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! Here's hoping you are back on the road soon too!

      Delete
  2. A mobile office could be very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to good to be true. We'll see how it works out.

      Delete
  3. Glad you are home safe...and thanks to YOU for taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed traveling along with you through your blog. Thanks for sharing. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kimmer, It was a great pleasure following along with you seeing you fulfill your dream. My only (and great) disappointment is that we didn't get to (finally) meet in person. Murphy's Law that I would get sick in Q the very time you were there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! That was bad. Glad it is behind you. Maybe 2014?

      Delete
  6. Doesn't coming home feel wonderful? I find going makes me appreciate home more, and being home makes me appreciate going more! It's a nice balance.

    Doris is funny. Glad she got along so well with John.

    Am interested to see how you like your online teaching position.

    And Buffalo in February and Pascagoula in July? Life is too short for that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about that. I've got the best of both worlds and not a day goes by that I don't thank my lucky stars (or whatever is responsible for this great life I have).

      Delete
  7. HA! If Doris is like my dogs, she'll be snooty and make you pay for leaving her :-) After a few days, she'll get over it and things will be back to normal for her. I loved going along on your trip with you, albeit vicariously. It was great fun. I'm looking forward to heading south sometime mid- to late March. Everything depends on the general weather pattern for the southeastern US around that time.

    Great news on the class. I'm sure you'll love it. Remember - anytime you have questions in general, let me know. Also I can put you in touch with my friend (former grad student) Mike who teaches nursing courses at GCU if you like. He's a wonderful online teacher and would be delighted to have a new online colleague. Just let me know. The best place to "meet" would probably be on Facebook as he and I connect there several times a week.

    Getting organized take an awful lot of time for me. I try to get organized before a trip but somehow, it all falls apart during the trip and unpacking isn't much fun :-)

    Please don't stop blogging just because you're not traveling. Tips on prepping for the next trip, working at home and eventually on the road, and so forth are as welcome as the travel posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She forgave me pretty quickly. Right after I gave her some fresh-baked chicken.

      It's funny - I applied at GCU in the fall and never heard from them. I'm going to see how Georgetown Univ. pans out. It's part-time so I would have a little more job security. Stay tuned! And thanks again for all your help during my job search.

      Delete
  8. Most campgrounds in the northern states don't open until either mid-April or mid-May depending on who their customers are. Thought you might want to keep that in mind as you plan your travels north. If you find yourself passing through the Minneapolis area once I am home again, let me know and I'll come meet up with you. Although, given the way our timing went in Quartzsite I'll probably have a doctor's appointment the one day you are passing. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point, Linda. Thanks for reminding me that not all campgrounds are open in the winter up north like they are down here.

      I'd love to meet up with you if I get that far! When I visited Theodore Roosevelt National Park in 2001, I went thru the Twin Cities. Maybe our paths will cross soon.

      Delete
  9. Kim, it was fun to meet you and to follow your trip. Terry and I got a laugh out of the photo of Doris. Dogs sure know how to push buttons. Thanks for checking out our blog too. Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !