Friday, March 15, 2013

Kolomoki Mounds State Park, GA

 
Atop the Temple Mound

The get-together was major fun!  Eight members of a women’s solo camper discussion group met up at this remote Georgia State Park.  We had the campground to ourselves!  

The weather wasn’t ideal with moderate-to-strong winds and lows down to 32 one night.  It was a desperate last effort on Winter’s part to maintain its icy grip.  Good campfire weather though. 

Due to a stomach ailment the day before my scheduled departure, I arrived a day late.  Due to a work conference call and no cell service at the park, I left a day early.  But we packed a lot of fun into the 3 days of fellowship.   
 
 A variety of camping rigs were represented including a tent.   

Lorraine's PleasureWay.  Susan's Mallard to the right.

Peggy's Rig

Peggy's rig up close.  A 17-foot Apex.  She adores it and rightly so. 

Norma's Scamp
Actually, Norma has 2 scamps.


Here's the other one. 


Big Trouble.



Julie's Vanna-White

The campground is small with only  24 sites and nicely maintained.  Naturally, because it was just us, we all had lake-front sites.  A few of the ladies kayaked, a couple of us hiked the ceremonial Indian mound, and most made the one-hour journey to visit Providence Canyon.  (I was not among them as I had been before). 

The 57-foot tall Big Mound is a steep walk

My new hiking boots were up to the task
So was Julie

It was nice to just park and stay put for a change.  I sat in my camp chair more this past week than I have this past year!  Is this what they call camping?

Of course, the best fun was sitting by the lake, under the stars, next to the campfire and talking about everything.  The discussions mainly involved traveling, camping, gear, and RVs.  My kinda women! 
I left later Thursday afternoon than intended because Sandy & I sat and talked for a long time in the comfort of the sunshine.  We watched the lake, the birds, listened to the wind in the trees, and talked about our travels.  Sandy has done a lot of camping in the Black Hills so I got some great tips from her regarding my upcoming trip later this spring. 
I love meeting people like Sandy.  This is a lady who, in her 60’s, leaves her Minnesota home in the fall and heads south for the winter.  Tent-camping out of her sedan! 
That's Sandy, far right, between her car and house.  Wish I had a better photo.
 
She is possibly the sweetest, gentlest person I’ve ever met.  I so enjoyed learning a little about her life, her deep love of nature, and her travel adventures.  She intends to keep it up until she just can’t anymore.  I admire her enormously. 
I got home late yesterday and have spent most of today putting the GDB to rights. 

It never ceases to amaze me that it is just as much work to pack and unpack for a 3-day trip as it is for a 3-month trip!

 

13 comments:


  1. i find that true also. Although I figure it is because I take Everything out of the Alfa each time. I don't want to double up on things because we really do want to go full time eventually. If I need it in the Alfa, I probably need it in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine how much work it would be with a bigger rig .... and for two! I have all I can handle with my little minimalist rig and me.

      Delete
  2. I like the looks of your new hiking boots. Can you tell me more about them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Merrell Moab Ventilators, lightweight and comfortable. They also have more "give" than other hiking boots I've had. The sole is not as stiff.

      I found them at Cabela's and tried them on. But I eventually ordered from Amazon:

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KQZD9M/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful time. Was that Peggy of Camping Tales? I used to love reading her reviews of various campgrounds.

    You are right about it being remote. We passed by it on 27 on our way to Florida one time. That has to be the longest, loneliest road in Georgia! :)

    Sandy sounds like someone I would especially love to meet and spend time with!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would absolutely love her. Yes, that Peggy. It was great to finally meet her in person.

      Delete
  4. So glad to see that you got out on another adventure. The campground looks wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun group of really interesting women! I remember when we as a family came home after a 2 week trip, the least fun was cleaning out the camper! And you are right, it's the same amount of work for a 3 day trip as a 3 week trip, so might as well maximize the trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful trip. I am going nuts finding a van never mind a class b.
    those ladies have this monthly thing down pat. I read they already made reservations for next month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great time! I'm heading south in two weeks. Planning to take my time and visit folks along the way. Why be in a hurry :-) Have you started teaching yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're gonna have a great maiden voyage in that spiffy new camper! My first class is scheduled for September - I'll be teaching pathophysiology and pharmacology. That'll give me plenty of time to prepare for it (between trips in late spring and early fall).

      Delete
  8. What a good get together. It's so nice to have a group of women sitting around a campsite and just enjoying each other. I'm glad you had a nice time. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !