Saturday, May 18, 2013

Douglas, WY


After consulting the weather this morning, I decided pretty quickly to make a LEFT!  My plan was to make the easy drive to Wall, SD today.  But the weather said otherwise. 

My original destination was right in the heart of that heart.

We had a rip-snorter of a storm in Valentine last night.  Heavy winds, either large raindrops or small hail, along with thunder and lightning.  The persistent thunder sounded like a freight train (which sounds like a tornado).  I had to make a decision.  North, south, and east didn’t look so good, so I headed west.
It wasn’t so much the hysteria at the Weather Channel or even the severity of the forecast along my route (softball-sized hail …. really?), it was the duration.  Violent weather expected over the Plains through Monday.  3 days of worry is 3 days too many!    

And, as John wisely pointed out, that’s the advantage of being on wheels – you can go where the weather suits your clothes.    Here's where I ended up.

Douglas, Wyoming


Apparently the forecast was spot-on and some 280 miles later, I seem to be out of the path and settled for the night.   
The big bonus was continuing along scenic US 20 for another 3 hours.  The landscape changed from serene rolling sand hills to this ....



And this ...


 

To this ....




I passed through many small towns, but none smaller than this ...

 

Here for the night at the Wyoming State Fairgrounds.  The campground itself is not long on aesthetics but the surrounding scenery is beautiful.  And the skies are clear! 

 

Just remember

 


I’ll leave you now with my Dust Bowl photo.   I've been waiting for just the right windmill.

 

19 comments:

  1. My late husband and I drove through Lost Springs in 2005 after touring through South Dakota, we took a pic of that sign and it was Pop. 1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous country! Looks like your detour from the storm worked out well for you.

    Love the signs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful drive. Especially after the sun came out.

      Delete
  3. Kim:
    You were wise to detour to the NW. My Roadtrek still sits in the path of a tornado until Monday. Being only 8 miles from the Kansas border near Hastings, NE there will be hail and tornados for next 36 hours. Severe thunderstorm this hour. I am safely in a farmhouse basment.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, Bill! How did you score a farmhouse basement? But are you saying that the RT is out in the elements?

      Delete
    2. The RT is in a quonset on the farm property . I needed rest after 1,700 miles driven. Fortunately I know many people in WY, CO, NEbr, MT, SD and ND aka North Central Regional Board. Monday I will start out again and be at Custer NP on 22nd.
      Travel is Companion
      Bill

      Delete
  4. Glad you are safe and out of the path of the dangerous weather. Have been enjoying your blog and beautiful photos, thank you for sharing your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are safe AND enjoying wonderful scenery! AND that you're sharing it with us still at home. LOVE the dust bowl photo....actually love them all as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! I wish the photos were sharper. Something happens between my computer and Blogger that makes them look less vibrant than they are.

      Delete
  6. Good choice of paths to go. Severe weather is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially when you've got an expensive machine to worry about, right? I just couldn't subject the GDB to tennis-ball sized hail. No way!

      Delete
  7. Hi Kim,
    We are enjoying your travels every day!
    Nelda and Jerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nelda!

      I'm thrilled that you 2 are following along. Makes me feel less lonely. Hope you are having a nice Spring up there and enjoying your yard/garden. Give Jerry a big hug from me!

      Delete
  8. You're NEVER alone, Kim! We're all right here . . . waiting patiently for the next installment. I'm lovin' the personality that you give to each stopover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, judilyn - that means a lot.

      Delete
  9. Good replanning. Please, ma'am, move away from the storm.

    Of course the north edge of it is heading towards us. Hope it stays south; my van is too tall to go into the garage here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such amazing scenery you are getting to see !!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !