Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Lincoln, NE


Hello from Lincoln where it is 99 degrees at 6:45 PM.  The high today was

 


Who can explain the freakish 1-day heat wave?  What made matters worse, at least for this tourist, were the 25 MPH winds with gusts up to 40 MPH.  It felt like walking upstream in a blow-dryer! 

Not a good day for sightseeing.  But here are some photos from downtown Lincoln and the University of Nebraska campus.  They are limited as I tried to stay in the shade as much as possible.
Administration Building

Library.

Note the State Capitol building to the left.

Pedestrian overpass.
 

I knew hook-ups were in order but the campground choices here are scarce.  The lady at the Lincoln Visitors Bureau pointed me to a fairground with electrical-only service for $25/ night.  Resigned to break my streak of free sleeping but ready for a cool shower, I headed out about 10 miles east of town.  This is what I found when I got there.


No one around.  It was spooky.  And no shower!!!!  The other alternative was to drive back through town during rush hour and stay at a $45/night private campground.  So I’m stopped for the night at Wal-Mart up the road.  My generator is running and the A/C is making it bearable, but just.  The wind continues howling and the trailer is a-rockin’. 
Looking forward to dark when the temperature should plummet.   Then I’ll orient the GDB to catch the crosswinds and open the windows.  Not sure about running the fan – I might lose the cover.

How long can you run a generator, anyway?  Assuming there is plenty of gas.  
But the day started off great. 
 
Beatrice, NE's courthouse - charming town!
 

Free Land: Homestead National Historic Site


Daniel Freeman was the first to apply for the new Homestead Act at midnight on January 1, 1863.  The historic site I visited today was his 160 acres.  He made a success of it, got title to the land after 5 years, and lived here until he died. 

As an old man, posing in his Union Army uniform.


The Homestead Act was created to alleviate unemployment in the big cities.  The requirements were that you be head of the household and over 21.  Even women were eligible.   Hardy folk.! I’ve been imagining what it would take to even make it out here.  And I get irritated if my satellite radio loses its signal!

Prairie grass.  The roots can go down 15 feet!  That would be a deal-breaker for me. 
 
 

12 people lived in this original cabin, about the size of a small travel trailer.  I  mean, I like small spaces but I need my private time.  Deal-breaker #2. 

 


Took a lovely hike around the site. 
 
 
All was silent except for the breeze and the birdsong.
Female Dickcissel

Red-wing Blackbird


Eastern Kingbird

The museum was excellent, as always.  I’ve often wondered exactly how windmills work – now I know.  It was neat to see the mechanisms at eye level.
 
 
 
Well ..... here's to a more comfortable tomorrow!
 

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful birds...can't identify the first. But I'm feeling the heat...90 today in central IL...feet swelled but loving it as been waiting forever. Hope you found that cold shower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I had to wait a day but finally got a good long shower.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you, I would not stay in that empty park even though it would give you an electric hookup. I read somewhere that the generator burns a gallon an hour - may be worth it to pay for a campground at the price of gas. Do you have a passport america discount card?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, Teri, I need to find out how much fuel the genny burns. I figure if it is 1 gal./hour I still come out ahead since I ran it for about 3 hours.

      Delete
  3. Hope you caught a breeze tonight and it's cooled down by now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It cooled considerably when the sun went down. And breezy it was!

      Delete
  4. In weather like that you need hook ups. Or at least Craig would. We spent one miserable day at a //Walmart in Las Vegas when it was Hot! We will try not to do that again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that was my preference but it just didn't work out that way.

      Delete
  5. That campground IS spooky. Ron and I ran into one like that once, and we left, too!

    I can't imagine 12 people in that tiny cabin. Of course, I also have trouble imagining extended families living under one big roof!

    The birds are beautiful. That's one area I am completely ignorant of, and even when I learn names, they don't stick with me. But I sure do love the photos of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, TC! It's fun to get a good shot of a bird, isn't it? It doesn't happen for me that often.

      Delete
  6. I was surprised the first time I went to a fairgrounds for an RV hook-up. It sure didn't offer anything except the elec hook-up. One night was all I did. But I wasn't alone. I definitely would not have stayed if I was alone.

    I tried to find the first bird for you, but no luck. I'm too tired to try the second one. Some of our experts out there will know just by looking at the photo. I'll check back to see if you got some answers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sent out an SOS to the RV blogger world's resident birding expert - Judy. Hope she has time to ID them.

      I'm at the Grand Island library now and have been through the song bird portion of my field guide twice. I believe the first one is a female Dickcissel (similar appearance and the right habitat).

      I simply can't find anything close to the other one. It was so beautiful and reminded me in many ways of a Kingfisher but I know it's not that.

      Hopefully someone else can solve the mystery!

      Delete
  7. Kim:
    Wow, You are making good time traveling . Lincoln by Tuesday via St Louis. Your pics of UNL and Love library brought back memories
    from the 70's. Me and my RT are in Louisville, KY for the night. I'll be in Lincoln tomorrow and Custer State Park by 22nd. I know what you saying about the hair dryer effect. My sister would have given you shore power at her house. My blog will need to wait a few days.
    Bill
    @ Cabela's in Louisville, KY
    Meandmyrvhittheroad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill,

      Good to see you are back on the road. You've got a loooong way to go! Believe me, I would have plugged in at your sister's in a heartbeat.

      Delete
  8. I'm definitely not a birder but the top one might be a meadowlark, the state bird, and the bottom one looks a little like a chickadee to me. Just guessing.

    NE is my home and one of the things I made that was one of my best sellers was a stepping stone in the shape of NE with a tree blowing sideways that said "One day the wind quit blowing in Nebraska and everyone fell down" I sold a lot of magnets with that design too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great. Should be on the state license plates!

      Delete
  9. Our 4000-watt generator uses about half a gallon of gas an hour, so if yours is smaller (?2800?), you probably use less. Most generators will shut down if your main gas tank reaches a quarter tank. This is obviously to keep you from stranding yourself somewhere with no fuel to get somewhere else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a 2800. Thanks, Judilyn - that gives me a good estimate!

      Delete

Let's chat !