Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Mt. Rushmore

We made it!

This is not my first visit to the venerable sculpture.  Our family visited here when I was about 10 or 11 but we never saw the monument  The entire mountain, and everything else, was completely obscured by fog.  My mother thought it was hilarious.

So you can imagine how I felt when the skies were foggy this morning.  But later in the morning,
the mist blew off and all 4 Presidents were visible. I imagined my mother smiling. The sun even shone for about an hour. 


Close

Closer

Closest

I walked the trail that winds below the mountain enjoying the beautiful woods.



And the goat



What makes the Black Hills black?  The ponderosa pine's dark bark.


Original scale model

One last peek from the GDB



So it comes in threes?


Well, along with my ailing transmission, I now have a broken latch on my galley cabinet.

And on the way to Rushmore, I was behind an oil truck and this happened.  Lower center bullseye.

Grrrrr .....

Enough with the glitches, already!  I'll call the insurance company tomorrow.  It will give me something to do while the GDB is being tended to. 

7 comments:

  1. Mt. Rushmore is wonderful - I can't imagine being there. Someone once told me it is a natural phenomenon. Funny, right?

    So sorry about the chip. That's such a bummer. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least if things come in 3's you're all done with it! Cool photo of Mt Rushmore through the window...very cool. Glad you got out and walked around some, that makes it much more fun than just hanging out at the visitor center.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well at least if things come in 3's you're all done with it! Cool photo of Mt Rushmore through the window...very cool. Glad you got out and walked around some, that makes it much more fun than just hanging out at the visitor center.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos of Mt Rushmore are impressive and the goat along the path. Is the goat the official presidential goat or just an interloper?
    I will have to check this out tomorrow when I visit Mt Rushmore for the first time. As a Capricorn myself I think he is just passing through.
    Bill
    http://www.rvandmehittheroad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photos of Mt. Rushmore! And the trail pictures made me itch to see it in person! Did you feel threatened by the goat? He sure is a beautiful animal.

    Hope those two small glitches are the end of maintenance issues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find the thought of driving to see Mt Rushmore only to find it being hidden by fog hilarious, too. Glad you got to see it for real this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been there so thanks for showing it to me through your eyes.

    Oh those ROCKS ! Had a doozie in the Class C and got a chip in no time in my current rig.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !