Sunday, May 5, 2013

Trip Prep

It’s all about the weather, ain't it? 
My overriding goal has been to reach the Black Hills and Rocky Mountain National Park after the snow but before the crowds.  And it looks like conditions are such that it’s a good time to proceed North-by-Northwest. 
So I’ll take off sometime this week!  In March, I posted my basic itinerary here.
It turns out that preparing to leave gets easier and easier the more I do it.  Practice, practice, practice.  It should be a pretty simple operation anyway since it’s just little ol' me in my little ol' van. 


You know, I still grapple with the reality that I can wake up one day and just take off.  Freedom.  Is there a more beautiful word? 
My future roaming will be slightly less free as I begin teaching my first nursing class in September.  But with adventure just ahead, that task seems eons away. 
Just a few items on my to-do list since I’ve already filled up both my Kindle and my gas tank.
  • Check the generator oil
  • Turn the fridge on
  • Toss clothes, computer, and camera in the van
  • Fill the water tanks
I’m sure I’m forgetting something.  I've learned not to pack food because it’s easier to shop at my first Wal-Mart stop.  That way, I don’t have to lug stuff into the house, then lug it back out to the van. 
As always, it’s sad to say au revoir to John and Doris but we’ll Skype every evening.

Bon Voyage
 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to your adventure! Bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyndi. Hope you and Miss Stumpy are doing well.

      Delete
  2. I've been waiting for your grand announcement of when you'd be leaving! It's wonderful that you finally have that freedom... and I'm SO glad I get to be a virtual tag-along.

    What a brilliant idea of waiting to buy food on the road. Not sure I could make it work the way we travel, but I can focus on packing a lot less stuff to start with.

    I really enjoyed your telling us about taking your computer outside and giving John (and Doris) a 360 degree view of where you're camped. Love that he gets to see where you are when you share cocktail hour together via Skype.

    Kinda romantic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good memory. I love that technology allows us to continue the cocktail hour tradition.

      Delete
  3. Glad you didn't start out too early and get caught in the final cold blast last week. Can't wait to see your pics and read your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne. Hope you and Mille are enjoying life!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad Craig decided he wanted to do this too, if he had continued to drag his feet (two yars ago) I might hve ended up going on some trips alone too. He decided it was time to buy the big Alfa, which I love, so I know he want the freedom too. Maybe someday John will wnt to go too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe. Anything's possible, I guess :-}

      Delete
  5. Here's to a great take-off day. Yeah the weather can be a frustration. I don't like shopping on the road plus I take my power bars and shakes since my diet is very restricted. I can sometimes find those in Walmart but not always and I'm not interested in going to more than one store in case the one I go into doesn't have what I need. I carried enough shake mixes and bars for a month and had plenty left over. Lost 8 pounds in three weeks - no complaints there! LOL Looking forward to reading about your daily travels. And great news about the course. When you get back home I'll have to introduce you via email to my colleague Mike who teaches nursing courses at GCU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - that's an inspirational weight loss for sure. Traveling makes me hungry! Yes, I'd like to talk to Mike. Looks like I'm going to need another online gig to keep my gas tank full.

      Delete
  6. I'm so excited! Freedom is an excellent word. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, Doris and John have each other when you're gone. So that's a good thing. Getting ready for a trip is so much fun - all the anticipation! Anything you forget, you can pick up along the way.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !