Friday, May 10, 2013

Typical Travel Day


Settled in for the night at Lowe’s on South Kirkwood Avenue in St. Louis.  It looks to be a safe area and was actually recommended by a National Park Ranger who has had occasion to sleep in his car on holiday trips. 

During today's 180-mile drive, I was thinking about how I’ve developed a sort of schedule - which is odd because every day is a different experience.  But I realize I've fallen into a routine on travel days and it looks something like this:

  • Wake up
  • Eat breakfast
  • Plot the day's route, making sure the atlas and my GPS agree
  • Consider possible overnights using overnightrvparking.com, check email
  • Drive 1 - 2 hours
  • Stop for coffee 

Rest Areas make good coffee breaks.

  • Drive another 1 – 2 hours
  • Stop for lunch
  • Tour a landmark (today it was the U.S. Grant National Historic Site – more on that tomorrow)
  • Find an overnight spot
  • Re-provision as needed
  • Cocktails & Skype with John & Doris!
The best part.
 
  • Edit photos, blog, email
  • Movie/TV/crossword
  • Read
  • Sleep

A full day.! And it makes me ridiculously happy. 

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have an excellent routine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really the simple things in life that are the greatest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good plan to me! Sometimes I think of my "great escape" and this exactly what I would do...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you feel that Overnight is more useful than the ALLSTAYS app?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure. I don't use ALLSTAYS because my phone doesn't support that app. Or I would. People seem to really love it.

      Delete
  5. Nice routine, but remember that unexpected things can change things drastically. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds perfect to me. Except for the coffee; I don't drink coffee. So I would probably take a nap then.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !