Thursday, May 16, 2013

Valentine, NE


Reached Valentine early this afternoon. 

"Heart City"







I came through here on my 2001 Dakota trip and always wanted to come back and spend more time.  The Sandhill region of Nebraska is beautiful and the Niobrara River is the jewel in the crown.  With a population of under 3000, Valentine is rural, clean, and cozy.
Valentine National Wildlife Refuge.  A birder's paradise.

It was a long day to get here – over 200 miles.  Of course I took scenic State Highway 2 then turned north on 83.  And I drove 55 enjoying the scenery even through some late morning drizzle. 

Followed this train for miles and miles.
Went through a lot of small towns like this.  Litchfield is actually one of the larger ones.

Saw a lot of this

And this. 
 
I had an early start to the morning before 6 AM.  I awoke up to the sound of the refrigerator clicking on and off.  My first guess was that my coach batteries were low.  And they were.  I realized I had left the DVD/Home Stereo unit on all night.  No harm though.  The batteries quickly re-charged after running the generator for a half-hour.  I decided to just stay up and get any early start.  I stopped on the way out of Grand Island at U-Haul to replenish my propane. 
I was driving through town when I first arrived and noticed that the Comfort Inn has electrical boxes.  It looked like 4 RV parking spots to me, so I stopped.  The nice lady at the desk said yes – electric, no water hook-up, no wi-fi, $10 per night.  So I spent my first $ of the trip on hook-ups.  It's a convenient location – 1 block off Main Street.    


I get to watch the poor car/hotel folks unload all their stuff.  Been there.
 
I had to use my 20 amp adapter.  I was wondering if I was ever going to need it. 

20 amp adapter + surge protector + power cord stabilized with bungee

Early dinner and early bedtime for me tonight.  Tomorrow, I head to Ft. Niobrara National Wildlife Refuge to seek out the buffalo!

 

 

12 comments:

  1. Love that part of Nebraska. Was so peaceful and quiet. Loved Smith Falls State Park - dry camping. And the Niobrara River area where it joins the Missouri River. I was there in late Aug a couple years ago and there was hardly anyone there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so beautiful! I was telling John that, walking around town, I felt like the first tourist of the season. I thought about staying at Smith Falls but it's so far from town. I just always had this idea in my head about exploring downtown proper. It's been fun.

      Delete
  2. Had no clue Comfort Inns would offer RV hookups. Wonder how many hotels offer that? I've never toured Nebraska...but it's sure on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I just happened to spot it when I was driving around town looking for a good stealth parking spot. I saw the extra-long spaces and then noticed the electric pedestals.

      Then I found out from a local that another hotel down the road "The Raine" offers the same deal. I went to check it out but the hook-up area was right on the main highway.

      Delete
  3. Glad you had the generator to charge your batteries!

    How nice to find a safe, convenient site with electricity for $10 a night.

    The wildlife refuge looks like it would be a beautiful place to explore, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to check out the Fort Niobrara NWR today. I just found out they have a shower in the hotel. I'm going to see if they'll let me use it. If so, I'll spend another $10 to stay tonight.

      Delete
  4. Explain the 20 amp thingy.....how that works and why? Love the photo of the homestead and the hill behind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The electrical posts here have 20 amp and most RVs come with either 30 amp or 50 amp electrical cords. So I carry an adapter that I can hook to the end of my cord to fit in their 20 amp outlet.

      I also have a 50 amp adapter should I run into a campground that has only 50 amp outlets.

      Delete
  5. Been enjoying your blog on this trip. I'm leaving next week and will be following much of your route then out to Yellowstone. How's the cell service in Nebraska? Was wondering if I should get a booster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey JDawg, glad you are following along! I use Millenicom, so it's basically Verizon. Lincoln good, I-80 good, Grand Island good, Valentine good - all 4G.

      The only problem was Beatrice, NE. The mi-fi was reading 1G but seemed a bit stronger than that to me although John and I weren't able to Skype.

      Delete
  6. That's along a route I thought I might take so I added it to my potential stops. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gotta see the Sandhill country. It's just beautiful here. BTW, I'm plugged in at Comfort Inn again for tonight and found out I can shower in the nice BR by the pool for an extra $5. I jumped at it.

      Delete

Let's chat !