Sunday, June 9, 2013

Fayetteville, AR

Back in the Southeast and in good position to tour (or at least drive through) the Ozark and Ouachita mountain ranges.  Not sure what my plan is but I'll figure it out.

Woke up and got on the road earlier than usual and departed Bartlesville where someone in the city government has a sense of humor.




My next stop, after skirting through Missouri briefly, was

Arkansas, don't 'cha know.

World headquarters for the Wal-Mart Corporation.

I know Wal-Mart has many detractors.  I even know people who refuse to shop there and I respect that.  Really I do.  I’m just not one of them.  No doubt because I remain willfully unaware of the company’s business practices.  If that means I have an undeveloped social conscience then …. there it is.

But I like Wal-Mart.  I like the broccoli salad, I like the garden center, and I really like the prices.   I also like the fact that the company allows me to stay overnight in a clean (usually), quiet (mostly), well-lighted (always) place. 

I’ve been on the road for 32 days and, thus far, all but 7 of those nights have been spent in Wal-Mart parking lots. 
So I thought it fitting that, on my way to Fayetteville, I should stop and check out the store that started it all. 



Right on Main Street. 


Does it get any more Main Street than this?






The original store is now a free museum where one can soak up the company spirit and learn about founder Sam Walton, one of the most successful capitalists who ever lived.

Sam's office

The museum displays were entertaining.

Enlarge to read.
Sam loved the outdoors and had a soft spot for his camping customers. 




What the richest man in the world drove



1979 Ford F-150

Sam used to say "what am I going to haul my dogs around in - a Rolls Royce?"

Of course, I had a blast browsing through the Five-and-Dime merchandise.


I used to play this for hours on family road trips.


Everyone's favorite bald man.


I would still play this if I had someone to compete against.










Well, that was today.  I'm parked at Lowe's here in Fayetteville.  I'm ready to dive into the mountains tomorrow.  Can you think of any must-see things along my route? 


8 comments:

  1. Wait! You're in Arkansas? What happened to the scenic route through Kansas?!

    Are you stopping in LIttle Rock to meet Carolyn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You missed the scenic route through Kansas too? LOL!

      There were some travel shots I posted a few days ago and, believe me .... I had to work at it.

      No - no plans to stop in Little Rock. Been there.

      Delete
  2. The annual Wal-Mart shareholders meeting is being held in Fayetteville this weekend. They have had some amazing talent perform, or so I have heard on the news, Kelly Clarkson, John Legend, (actor) Hugh Jackman.

    Hope you enjoy your trip through Arkansas.

    Safe travels,
    The Arkansas Travelers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Travelers! I'm hoping it will be at least a little bit cooler in the mountains.

      Delete
  3. I was in Bentonville with a girlfriend back in the early 70's while our husbands were out to sea. She had family there.

    It was so much fun to see your pictures of the town and the museum. Wooly Willy, 15 puzzle, and Bazooka bubble gum. And a fly swatter for camping. That's going way back!

    And your glasses gave me my belly laugh for the evening. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, some people just can't wear nerd glasses. Sadly, I can. LOL!

      Delete
  4. Going through the museum had to be great fun. remembering all those fun toys we had back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. Remember slinkys? We never could get ours to walk down the stairs. Eventually, they always ended up in a twisted mess.

      Delete

Let's chat !