Saturday, June 1, 2013

Trail Ridge Road and a Day in Boulder


It was hard to say goodbye this morning to this view out my window. 
But finally getting to climb Trail Ridge Road spurred me on.  The wind finally went wherever it goes and the day was all lovely blue skies.  Up and up on the highest continuous paved road in the U.S.

We made it 11 miles in and reached 10,866 ft.
 
Before the road was closed.

Trail Ridge Road


As you can see, it’s not lonely at the top.   I guess everyone had the same idea as me – wait until the wind is gone and made the trek.  There was a sense of exhilaration in the air. 







Blogger and bird-lady extraordinaire identified this guy as a Clark's Nuthatch.  Its range is high coniferous forests at timberline.   

I left RMNP and pushed on to Boulder.  The drive on US-36 was magnificent though heavy with traffic. 
I strolled around the University of Colorado-Boulder campus and admired the architecture.  The terra-cotta roofs are so appealing.




Next I entered the heart of Boulder at the Pearl Street Market held every weekend.  It’s a 3-block long street fair ranging over a pedestrian mall.  I love a good street fair!  It had all the elements. 
Music




Card tricks

Fortune telling

And a contortionist

When I passed back by later, he was gone but this was in his place …
Coincidence?
And I had my first gelato ever. 



Lemon.  It was scrumptious. 

This was a memorable start to June.  The weather in Boulder was in the low 60s with almost no humidity.  I’m back at camp Wal-Mart in Centennial and, while it may not be exactly picturesque, it’s nice to have wi-fi again. 

7 comments:

  1. Do you get wifi from Walmart, or are you just back in range again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always thought Boulder would be a cool city...now I know! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is. If the university had a nursing department and an opening in Boulder, I might apply. U of C does have a nursing school but it's in Denver. And after experiencing that hellish traffic yesterday (on a Saturday, no less), I don't think I could live there.

      Delete
  3. I'd say that's a Clark's nutcracker. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! I'm sure you are right. According to my birding guide, the Clark's nutcracker's range is high coniferous forests at timberline. Bingo!

      Delete
  4. Gelato, hmmm? I've never had it. Looks like ice cream to me.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !