Sunday, October 27, 2013

College Park, MD

Cherry Hill RV Park

This is the campground many RVers recommend for a visit to DC. A metro bus stops right in the park and deposits you at the subway station.  From there, it is a 20-minute ride to the National Mall.  So tomorrow, I'm in full tourist mode. 


More about my new home in a minute.

I woke up lazy this morning; I didn’t want to do anything.  So I didn’t.  Not for a while.  Had a leisurely breakfast, coffee, and did a crossword.  Then I shopped for groceries and finally hit the road about 11.  Fine by me!

On the way I stopped to visit Prince William Forest Park, set in 15,000 acres of Piedmont Forest.  It’s beautiful.  Built by the CCC, it has 37 miles of hiking trails.  So I did. 

I started with a short loop and learned more about the ecosystems of the 3 levels of the forest – canopy, understory, and floor.  It’s amazing how much biological diversity you can view just by looking up and then down. 

Canopy

The surface on the loop fascinated me.  It is composed of recycled tires and is the softest most comfortable surface I have ever walked on. 



I heard woodpeckers but never saw them.



Then I took an hour-long walk on a wide path through the dense woods.  It felt great to get some exercise on such a beautiful fall day. 

Forest floor

After a very intense drive north through DC on the I-495 beltway, I arrived at Cherry Hill about 2 PM.  I decided to book a site for 6 days, something I don’t generally like to do until I scope everything out.  But the place comes highly recommended and I’ll spend most of my waking hours in DC anyway.  $334 for 6 nights (sigh!) but this is easily what you would spend for half the time at some middle-of-the-road hotel. 

This place is HUGE with 400 RV sites, 2 pools, a theater, conference center, and cafĂ©.  The price includes a back-in site, water, electric, sewer, internet, and cable. 



As you can see, the sites are very close together.  



The lady who checked me in was so nice – she gave me a 10% discount!  I’d like to think it was my charm but, much more likely, she thinks I’m a senior citizen. 

I'm receiving over 50 cable channels, so I will definitely see the remaining games of the World Series.  And the DC forecast looks to be ideal.  I’m looking forward to a great week!

7 comments:

  1. You can't beat the convenience!! Have a great week!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fine to me have a wonderful stay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How amazing to be traveling and decide you don't want to do anything.... so you don't. And then you go for an awesome hike. And then you hit the road to your destination when you are ready.

    I need a van. :D

    The rubber trail intrigued me. Wonder how ecologically friendly it is? In any case, I know my knees would have loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great way to live, for sure. You DO need a van!

    The reasoning is that the recycled surface keeps tires out of the landfills. It was very easy on the knees. This park was spotless. Also interesting was the fact that there are no trash receptacles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A week in DC is wonderful. I know you'll enjoy it, and I'll enjoy your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd have trouble deciding if I wanted to be parked close to the cafe' or the bus stop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice there is a theater! Heayed pools? a nighttime swim would be lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !