Thursday, October 24, 2013

Kannapolis, NC

It worked!

Bottom of the 1st! I'm a happy camper!

Thanks to my blog readers for helping me out with my TV remote malfunction.  I cleaned the contact points with an emery board and now ......... I can watch the World Series.  

You guys are the best!

Not much to report from the road today except that I spent all of it on I-85 North after surviving the traffic of downtown Atlanta.  It’s time like this I really love my micro-RV.  

Yikes!


Though the urban sprawl of Greenville, Spartanburg, and Charlotte lay ahead, all went well.  Travel days like this, doing 62 MPH for 6 hours, makes one appreciate the tedium of the road.


A lot of this.


At the end of the day, I hit some rush-hour traffic in Charlotte that inched along for over ½ hour. 

Gee, thanks for the heads-up!

Upside: gorgeous weather.  More of the same predicted tomorrow, though the lows will be down to 38 tonight. 

Before I left Douglasville, I got the tires topped off.  This nice gentleman did a great job.  

Most exciting part of the day

He had to reset my onboard computer to reflect the proper inflation.  That’s the first time I’ve had to have that done. 

Somewhere in SC.  Never thought I'd see the day when this is a welcome fuel price. 

I stopped late morning to have some coffee and do some work.  Though it’s only Day 2, I am optimistic about this whole teaching/traveling experiment.  I think it’s going to work out nicely!

After Greensboro tomorrow, I’m off the I-state for a while.  It’s only 3 hours to Appomattox, my first National Park stop, so I expect a leisurely day tomorrow. 

I’m over-nighting in Kannapolis, North Carolina at Camp Wal-Mart once again.  This is one of those massive new suburban shopping meccas, complete with sidewalks, so I’m hoping to get in a brisk walk tomorrow morning before hitting the road.





16 comments:

  1. Since I'm doing the mind numbing drive down south, I missed day one. Glad to see you on the road to adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great day. A maneuverable rig, work and coffee stops, good weather, and a working TV remote! And awesome gas prices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All good stuff. I feel so fortunate every day to be living this way.

      Delete
  3. Hi Kim - I don't see a way on your blog to search back over your posts for certain topics so I'll ask - how do you connect to the internet when you're traveling? I'm sure you probably use Wi-Fi at times but probably not always.

    Thanks Much!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara,

      I use a Verizon Jet Pack Mi-Fi device available through Millenicom. It's reliable, gets great coverage, and is lightening fast.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Kim!! I have considered Millenicom and heard great things about it. My only issue is that we're not on the road all the time and with that one you have to pay monthly whether you use it or not (though I understand they let you do a 3 month vacation hold) - maybe we should just use that as our home internet connection as well and then just take it with us when we're on the road.

      I have spent SO-SO much time reading and researching different options for having reliable internet while we are on the road and can not find a good fit overall for home and on the road. I've looked at cell phones that allow tethering vs. taking a mobile hotspot vs. doing all that at a decent $$ amount. I kind of miss the days where you only paid for what you used/needed instead of all these flat amounts with only certain coverage...none ever fit us for what we need.

      What do you use at home for internet? Probably a local provider, right? Anyway thank you for your thoughts AND I hope you have a great and safe trip!! Do you have concerns about your safety traveling alone? Sometimes with my husbands work schedule I go camping for a night or two by myself but always places that are pretty family oriented and lots of people around (even though I would rather be by myself). I can't see myself doing truly remote camping as I know some ladies do by themselves.

      Barbara

      Delete
    3. Yeah - that's the only drawback, the price - $70/month. I was able to discontinue it for 2 months recently. And, yes, we use the cable provider at home. I would use Millenicom there too but John needs internet while I'm on the road.

      I can only justify the cost because it is a GREAT hot spot and because I now need reliable wireless for work.

      I have never been nervous traveling alone. I'm just cautious and keep my wits about me. The world is full of good people but I forget that when I watch the news. So I don't.

      The only way I am limited by traveling alone is I don't hike solo. I've tried and tried but I just get the spooks. And I love to hike. So it's a problem, but one I just have to live with.

      I don't think I've ever camped remotely alone. Most of the camping I do while touring is in Wal-Mart parking lots. And you are never alone there!

      Delete
  4. I didn't realize you had hit the road again. Nice looking burger you had the other day.:)
    Safe travels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, was it good! Glad you are getting better and hope YOU are on the road soon.

      Delete
  5. California disel price is $4.29 right now. Regular is over $4.00

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! I got to VA today and saw one station advertising $2.98

      Delete
  6. Its going to be very cold tonight here in the south so button up well...and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I see the low will be 25 overnight. Brrrrr .....

      Delete

Let's chat !