Tuesday, October 29, 2013

DC Day 2

A bit of a slow start today.  I was so tired last night that I turned the alarm off and slept till I woke up.  Ahhhh!  Then some housekeeping: filled the water tanks, dumped the black and grey tanks, and shopped in the campground store.  Boarded the bus about 11:30.  After my marathon day yesterday, I decided to take it relatively easy.  

Here’s one reason I love collecting NP Passport stamps.  I might never have visited this museum otherwise. 



It was fantastic!  Not only are the exhibits fascinating, they are so well-done.  There are many hands-on stations that make learning fun.  The museum includes much more than I can convey in a blog post, so I’ll just say – if you are in DC, make time to go!  There were only a handful of tourists.  In fact, the employees outnumbered us. 


Stunning architectural details throughout


Feel what it’s like to drive a Freightliner; something I've always wanted to do.  This way, no one got hurt. 



Design your own stamp. 


It was a hoot!  And I learned about Postal Mascot, Owney.  


Here’s his story for all you dog lovers in general and terrier-mix lovers in particular:



Next, I moved on to Ford’s Theater which is closed until Thursday.  Bummer!  However, I was able to tour the Peterson House across the street where Lincoln died.  



Unlike the theater, the house has always been preserved.  The room where Lincoln drew his last breath feels almost haunted. 

View of Ford's from the upstairs window of the Peterson House

A 3-story tower composed of Lincoln books




Then it was home again.  I did the commute during rush hour and didn’t get back to the GDB until almost 6.  Hot shower tonight.  

Back at it tomorrow!  

6 comments:

  1. I would have skipped the Postal Museum.... and missed out on something wonderful. It's gorgeous and has that indescribable old-time dignity and grandeur that no new building can command.

    LOVED the stamp! My first love-letters sported 5 cent stamps. :D

    I had never heard of Owney. :)

    And Lincoln... Another of the giants.



    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had another wonderful day. We're still trying to get the courage to tackle the DC area. Would love to visit all the museums, along with the memorials.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE DC...and I've never been to any of these places. Next time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Postal places were grand, now they are understaffed and cold. You have been very busy doing the tourist rounds. But all are just the best. I do remember the aluminum stuff from my childhood. And no the wasn't all that long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I'd bought a national parks pass when we first went full-time. Some of those places I'm not likely to ever return to but it is good to have a reason to discover history we might otherwise overlook.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !