Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Shut Down. Bummed Out.


The kitchen project that has kept me grounded for several months has experienced delay after delay.  

Finally, the good news is that it will be completed on Tuesday!  

The bad news is that I can’t leave on Wednesday after all. 

The plan was to visit 19 National Park sites on the month-long journey to Washington DC and back.  I listed them in my last blog post.

I really thought the government shut-down would be averted so I was completely dismayed by the news this morning. 

Thanks Congress !!!

I feel bad for me, of course.  But also for all the thousands of tourists – foreign and domestic - whose plans have been seriously altered.  And also for my fellow bloggers whose plans have also been thwarted.  

But mostly, I feel for the many wonderful National Park employees and volunteers I have met over the years. 

Here’s just a very few of the hard-working dedicated folks who protect our national treasures. 


Imparting the history of Castillo de San Marcos, FL

Making native pottery at Bandolier National Monument, NM


Demonstrating just how big a Big Horn's Sheep horns are, Rocky Mountain National Park
Teaching us how to make curds and whey at the LBJ Ranch, TX
Searching for fossils at Florissant Fossil Beds, CO

Teaching me how to make adobe at Bent's Old Fort NHS, CO


Let’s hope this issue is behind us.  Soon. 
  

13 comments:

  1. I was wondering how you would take the news. It's devastating to so many people. To a lot of foreign visitors, too.

    Wish our legislators would play grown-up for a while and actually work for the people instead of against them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the entire affair is very sad for so many people. I'm more concerned than ever about the future of our National Parks.

      Delete
  2. I've been watching this happen with you very much in mind. How many of yours stops are actually National Parks/Museums? Maybe you could go anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for thinking of me. All of the stops were NP sites - all 19. That's the focus of my travels - to teach online while exploring the National Parks. If the Blue Ridge Parkway were open, I might just do that. But it's not. Sad.

      Delete
  3. I think this is a good reason to "privatize" a lot of things....their are a lot of people that could run a lot of things a lot better than the government. And not all the Congress fault from what I understand....they offered to allow the parks to be exempt today...they were turn down by the President and the Dem....and so it goes. A good lesson in "go with the flow"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim.. A poignant post! Thank you for showing how this awful situation affects real people. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our gov. leaders are worthless. ALL of them. Only care about themselves. Hope you get to go soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry to hear that your trip is on hold. The leaves are starting to change here in central VA. I am sad that my husband and I aren't going to be able to our normal fall drive on Skyline Dr in SNP.

    Thanks for sharing your photos from past park visits. I love the helpful people that I have met during my limited visits to the NP. They really do make the visits more enjoyable.

    Is there anyway you can change your plans to visit state parks along the way? I know your passport book won't get stamped. Hopefully those that make the rules will get their act together soon and you can still go on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes it is so sad for all those who are not getting paid because of the morons in our White House.
    They claim they don't have money to keep them open. What garbage that is! Look how many Tourist are being keep out, this was money that would have went to these beautiful parks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The whole thing is idiotic. And damaging, both fiscally and emotionally to all of us. Ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate the tribute you made in this post to the park employees that work hard and teach so many things pertaining to their areas. So much history, so much to learn and it has been shut down. I am also worried about the future of our National Parks.
    Sorry about your plans. I know you are devastated...hopefully this will end soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a shame that the shutdown has messed all your plans up, that sounded like a wonderful travel schedule. But hopefully it will be over and done with and eventually we will get congress people that actually care about us instead of selfish dirtbags.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !