Friday, November 1, 2013

Last DC Day

And it was another good one!  

The day began dark and rainy with gusting winds.  After giving the mess some time to clear out, I was able to catch the 10:10 bus from the campground.

Exiting the subway station at the Archives, I ran into this bunch. 

Everyone was glad the rain stopped!

The day eventually turned sunny, warm, and gorgeous.



First stop



Most of my time here was spend gazing at the pieces of parchment that promise us freedom.  An emotional experience, to be sure, seeing the originals: the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights. 

Cameras are prohibited in order to protect the fragile documents.  But here’s a web photo.



The Archives houses billions of documents and artifacts that trace our nation’s history.  One memorable piece, for example, is President Nixon’s Oval Office tape recorder!

After lunch, I walked over to the Air and Space Museum, which I have visited several times, but the crowds flowing out the door waiting to get in caused me to keep walking.  So I moved on to the Hirshhorn Museum which houses a small collection of modern art.  



These outdoor sculptures are delightful. 



Even if modern art isn’t your thing, promise me you will pop in just to see the breathtaking panoramic view of the mall from these windows. 



Web Photo
I headed for the subway saying a long goodbye to the National Mall but on the way decided to stop in for one last satisfying visit to the National Gallery - the spot I started from 5 days ago. 

One last look

At last I returned to my home-sweet-home-away-from-home



So it’s off to Manassas in the morning as soon as I fill the water tanks and empty the other ones.

Oh, speaking of stamps



I realized the other day that I've had my NP Passport for 10 years.  In that time, I've collected 123 stamps.  This week I added another 17!  My wish is to just keep collecting them.  As in forever.

I plan to write a follow-up post about Cherry Hill RV Park for all my friends out there who want the best of both worlds – camping in an urban setting.  Stay tuned!

The End




4 comments:

  1. I purchased my Natl Pk book @ Shenandoah in May 2008, not sure how many stamps I have, not as many as you - but I plan to keep trying to fill mine, also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very satisfying last day there. I really enjoyed the shot of your chariot, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful last day. Looked beautiful! Can't wait to hear about the campground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fellow NP! I'm family psych--see primarily children. Without your blog I wouldn't have even known about NP passbooks--congratulations on collecting so many stamps! NPs are such a treasure. Thank you also for info on this urban campground! Happy Trails!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !