Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Roanoke, VA


Henceforth I ask not for good fortune, I myself am good fortune
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Done with indoor complaints, libraries, querulous criticisms,
Strong and content I travel the open road

~Walt Whitman ~



Ever had a day you didn’t want to end?  This was one of those.   

The journey starts at Mile 1 on the BRP.



Unlike Skyline Drive, the traffic is light all day.  The speed limit is 45 MPH but I meander along at about 30 MPH, taking it all in and stopping often.  There is a heavy cloud cover but the beauty of the views doesn't feel diminished.



I stop around Mile 5 at Greenstone Overlook in order to work before I lose my wi-fi signal. 

I’m the only person in sight; everything is still.  I’m at a couple thousand-feet elevation gazing at a massive rock formation on one side and the Shenandoah Valley on the other.  I'm happy with these views from my office windows.  


Left

Right

It's good to be teaching again!  Suddenly, I’m overcome with emotion.  Tears well up as I consider my good fortune

I think back to the terrible events of late 2011.  The tornado, losing John’s dad, and then losing my ‘forever’ job.  Two years later, it’s hard to describe the overwhelming gratitude I feel for being alive and being here.




I go back to work and, hours later, the feeling is still with me.

I stop later in the morning for some crossword action at Raven’s Rest Overlook. Appropriately, this guy shows up.  



This is the only time all day the sun appears.  When the raven flies away, he takes the sun with him.

More scenes from the road








I leave the BRP around Mile 90 for an overnight in Roanoke. 

Courtesy of ...





Back at it tomorrow!



20 comments:

  1. I feel your love for life...the freedom and the excitement. What a happy place you've found! And I see it in the adorable selfie! Thanks for sharing your ride...what a fantastic tour the last few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin' it and know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like a day of counting one's blessings.

      Delete
  3. Craig commented what a wonderful writer yo were as he rad your post tonight. I so agree. I think back to the dissapointments you have been thru, and am so glad for you now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MK! And thank Craig for his kind thoughts. You and I have been following one another since the beginning. How far we've come, eh?

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the post Kimbo! Always great:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU (and Candy) for following along.

      Delete
  5. Well the Government Furlough put you at the peak of the leaf season. Pix look fab. I'm glad you're enjoying this new teaching experience. I want to hear more about how it works for you sometime. I have had the years that try our souls too. It surely makes you have lots of gratitude for when things go "right." Keep having fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the shut-down delayed my departure by about 3 weeks. And I was royally pissed. But now, of course, I find it all worked out.

      After what you've been through, you must feel this way often. I guess if you are lucky enough, you live long enough to be grateful.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful drive!! I can sense your peace and excitement and it is contagious! I read your blog and smile each time!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Happytrails!

      Delete
  7. Great pictures. I love and miss the fall colors. But you are bringing them to me so I am a little happier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colors are awesome - even though, thanks to congress, I missed the peak. I'm not complaining! How can I?

      Delete
  8. Hi Joann:
    I just 'stumbled' in to your blog today and have signed up to read and see more interesting posts and gorgeous photos. We share the career of nursing. Your reference to emotions reminded me that I'd named my blog "Butterflies and Heart Songs" because butterflies are free and heart songs are what I feel when I do volunteer work (lots in healthcare). Have a great day.
    mary-pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary-Pat,

      So glad you are following along! I look forward to checking out your blog.

      Delete
  9. Sigh. It's restorative just reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn. Having folks like you supporting me makes the journey even better.

      Delete
  10. Oh Kimmer, I remember those events of late 2011 well. But look at you now !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kim, you look so happy now. Who would ever have believed how well things would turn out for you?

    What joy to be wandering along the Blue Ridge Parkway, soaking in some of the most glorious scenery on earth -- while working at a job you love!

    I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !