Sunday, November 3, 2013

Winchester, VA

Aaaah, Sunday Morning!  


And what’s a lazy Sunday without a steaming cup of coffee and a crossword that fights back?  

The wind-chill was in the low 40’s this morning but I was snug, warm, and ridiculously happy.  Yeah, I could live like this.  Except for missing the dog and the husband – deal-breakers both. 

Until this morning, I’d never configured the electric sofa like this.  



Not sure if you can tell, but the sofa is at ‘half-mast’ which makes for a recliner effect.  Why I waited till now to do this is beyond me!  It’s a comfy position for reading, writing, and presumably some arithmetic.

Manassas National Battlefield


This NP site was a mere 6 minutes down the road.  The day was completely sunny with a high of 62.  Almost perfect except for a chilling wind. 

This is the site of the first major battle of the war (known as Bull Run in the North).  Actually 2 battles were fought here 13 months apart.  Both significant, both bloody.  This area was a hot spot due to it's proximity to both capitals - DC and Richmond.



We were treated to a tour at the Brawner farmhouse, scene of the second battle.  The Brawner Farm was tucked into a quiet corner of the country, but its serenity was soon broken with the sound of cannon fire and the sight of the dead and dying.  

The farmhouse from a distance

This volunteer docent is quite the talented story teller!  He had us all caught up in his narrative.  He explained the battle action in a way that even I could understand, what with my tactically-challenged brain and all.




He took us on a walk to the ridge where much of the action occurred. 





Time for Lunch!


After the tour, I made a quick lunch with my super-duper Microgrill.  I’ve blogged about this kitchen gadget before – it basically allows you to grill indoors using a microwave.  Perfect for my style of camp cooking!


Not sure if you can see the grill marks on this Morningstar soy burger.

I love the way it gets the bread toasty yet soft. 

Camping World


I purposely overshot my entry point onto Skyline Drive tomorrow by about 14 miles.  But I wanted to reach this Camping World in Winchester, VA that offers free hook-ups.  So I’m plugged in for a night that promises a low of 28. 

Tight space?  No problem for the GDB!

Tomorrow is my first day teaching a new-to-me class.  I hope I don’t get so entranced with the mountains that I forget!

From the shadows of the Appalachians - goodnight all! 



11 comments:

  1. The sofa looks so comfortable. That is my only complaint about the Casita. There is nowhere to sit comfortably. Propped up in bed with pillows gets to my back after a while. So glad you discovered that arrangement!

    I love it when a good storyteller makes a place come alive to me. It would take a very good one to help me comprehend battle strategy! :)

    Love the grill.... and the wonderful free spot with hookups!

    Sleep warm tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like having a great big easy chair.

      Delete
  2. Really good information and facts! Thanks for that awesome posting. Dawn Travels

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting cold here for sure! Do the front seats in the GDB swivel? I'm looking at replacing the TC with a van or small 22-44 ft RV. Got to have a comfy place to work though and swivel front seats were a "must." Can you put the sofa down permanently for a bed and still have those side seats for sitting and working?

    Do all CWs have free overnight hookups?

    Safe travels. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops that was supposed to be 22-24 ft! LOL Still on first cuppa java this morning.

      Delete
    2. Hey Prof!

      Yes, the front seats swivel. I have a photo of that configuration when I was trying to set up an office:

      http://kimbopolo.blogspot.com/2013/07/road-brew-redo.html

      In this model RT, the driver seat is hard to swivel. And there's really no room once you do. Not a problem for the solo traveler though, you only need one seat, so use the passenger side.

      The side seats would be tricky with the sofa made into the bed. One is really non-sittable anyway because of an overhead cabinet. You could sit in the one on the left with the bed down but you might be a bit scrunched with another overhead cabinet.

      But the sofa is electric so putting it into day or night mode is as easy as pressing a button.

      No - not all CWs have hook-ups. You can find them though at overnightrvparking.com

      Safe travels to you too!

      Delete
    3. Very cool. That's just what I need! Looking ......

      Delete
  4. Kimbopopolo, I bought a Microgrill on your suggestion and found it to be an excellent utensil for cooking in an RV. It keeps grease off the counter and greatly reduces cooking odors. I tried the fried potatoes and was impressed with their taste and the teaspoon of oil it took to fry them. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! Isn't it great. I'm sure my readers are tired of hearing about it, but I consider it essential kitchen gear.

      Delete
  5. Kimbopopolo, I bought a Microgrill on your suggestion and found it to be an excellent utensil for cooking in an RV. It keeps grease off the counter and greatly reduces cooking odors. I tried the fried potatoes and was impressed with their taste and the teaspoon of oil it took to fry them. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !