Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Homeward Bound

We’ve had a couple of nice lazy days here at Stephen Foster park.  Monday was once again all blue skies with temperatures in the 60s.  Just what we like!  



In the morning, I hiked one of the many trails through the palmetto-laced pine forest.  Then into town for a grilled burger.  Spent the rest of the day doing classwork and wrestling with a NY Times crossword – all under the trees. 



Love my new office!  Lemons to lemonade, y’all

Yesterday I stopped in to the Stephen Foster Museum, located inside the park and dedicated to this great American songwriter.  



Foster was a real rock star in his brief 37 years of life.  He composed Camptown Races, Beautiful Dreamer, My Old Kentucky Home, O Susanna, and Way Down Upon the Swanee.  A 19th century hit-making machine!

Now, who would argue that the best part of camping is the campfire?  How much fun is it to sit out under the stars and talk about everything under them?   



Sweet little Mitzi


It's raining here this morning but all I have to do is unplug and start heading toward home later today.  It's a 4.5 hour drive but I’ll no doubt break it up with a stay at some Camp Wal-Mart along the route.  That way, I can have a leisurely drive tomorrow with enough energy left over to unpack.  And catch up with Doris.  Oh yeah, and John too!

Next up: I'm considering a February road trip to the Everglades.  Also we are hoping to get at least one more camping trip in before Peggy moves to North Carolina.  

17 comments:

  1. Hmmmm.... at first I thought you were in Kentucky.... kinda wondered who in their right mind would be there in the winter... kept reading... oh yeah... Florida! Still doesn't look all that warm.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't been! The temps on my first couple of days barely got above freezing. But still warmer than back home.

      Delete
  2. You are so much an RVer! Getting ready to head home, but still planning the next trip. I had to laugh. Stephen Foster looks like a nice park - I'm glad you had a good time with your friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey - you set the standards the way you just eased into that full-timing life!

      Delete
  3. Best kind of lemonade you can find! Glad you ladies had fun! Until the next time....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I'm not ready to forgive (and I'll never forget) the shabby betrayal of my full-time faculty job but .... you can see I'm making the best of the situation.

      Delete
  4. Tough job, but somebody's got to do it! Lemons to lemonade indeed!

    Love the campfire. And love the picture of Carla's Chinook. Drool! :)

    Glad you had a good time... and that you are already planning the next escapades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carla's Chinook is so very cool. If I weren't such a lazy blogger, I would've provided interior photos.

      Delete
  5. Don't you miss your canine buddy when you are with other campers who bring their pets along?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! My only solace is that I know she is very happy back home with her hero John.

      Delete
  6. I would definitely come out of retirement for an office like yours!! LOL
    Glad you had a great time with good friends and the weather cooperated (most of the time).
    A trip to the Everglades sounds great!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have pics of your "office" somewhere in the blog archives? I'd love to see it. I'm just now refining my 'office' situation - retirement office that is!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice office indeed. I think your not getting that job was meant to be. I know you worked so hard to get there too. But look what you have now. Yes Lemons to lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad the sun came out for you!
    Are't you lucky to live so close to the sunshine state....and to have camping buddies to hang with!
    Don't work too hard, :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! Love your new header graphic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We'll have to check out Stephen Foster Museum next time we are in Florida! I agree - campfires are great!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !