Tuesday, January 7, 2014

St. Joseph Peninsula State Park

A common sight at the campground this AM.  

Water faucet frozen solid in mid-drip.  Welcome to sunny Florida!

After last night's freeze, I haven’t tested the plumbing since there is one more night of below-freezing temps to endure, but I’m hoping for the best.  I should be OK. Roadtreks are built with a 2-tank system.  One 11-gallon tank resides inside the camper and allows for running water while winter camping.  Roadtreks are made in Canada, after all.  I've never appreciated that fact more than now!   

After leaving Topsail, I stopped for a propane re-fill, a few groceries, and a very chilly picnic lunch here.



I also detoured to check out Grayton Beach State Park.  Again, it seems a very nice facility but you have to drive to the beach.  I guess most people don’t mind that as much as I do.

So it was on to St. Joe State Park for the night where I got hooked-up about 3 PM.  



I’ve wanted to check out this campground for a long time.  And, dedicated blogger that I am, I braved the 26-degree wind chill on the deserted beach just to get a few snapshots for you.  




I know many of you are in much colder climes right now and can probably use some beach photos.   Even though I had to wear a ski mask to get them.   

The low-lying clouds on the horizon look for all the world like mountain peaks.

From the toasty interior of the GDB I can see the luminous sky, even through the thick foliage surrounding my site.  



My neighbor (who is tent-camping!) informs me that the raccoons show up right after sunset.  Maybe the activity will provide some interesting distraction from the classwork I must do tonight.

I’ll probably head to another campground tomorrow.  I think I'll treat myself to lunch too.  For the past 72 hours I’ve been thinking about those delectable gulf oysters.  More than usual even! 

The Big Game


Of course we aren’t happy about the outcome last night but ….. awfully proud of the team for getting there and playing so well.  John says we were just one bad defensive play away from a national title.  But what a show! 

BTW, thanks to all you Tiger fans who commented!



11 comments:

  1. The temps have been a challenge for many of us, but nothing compared to the north. Are you saying that you have 11 gallons of fresh water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy! Yes. The 11-gallon tank is under one of the seats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of the photos look icy except for the one of the GDB among the palm trees. No one would ever guess how cold it was there from that photo.

    You do have a wonderful rig, and I love the idea of the extra, protected water tank inside!

    OYSTERS... do eat a half dozen for me. Or a dozen! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know how much I love my little bus! At first I didn't like the 2-tank system because it complicated things. But now I see the wisdom. OK, I'll eat a dozen for you .... but only because you asked :-}.

      Delete
  4. We're all suffering in the south right now. It's going down to about 20F here in Abbeville, Louisiana again tonight. And, it only got up the the upper 30s today - I'm freezing. I'd taken my one jacket to the dry cleaners on Friday and had to wait until today to get it back; so I've been dressing in layers, about 6 of them! I even wore a hoodie sweatshirt with the hood up to bed last night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary-Pat,

      I so appreciate your comments and am so glad you are following along. I tried to add your site to my blogroll when you first showed up here but it didn't take for some reason. I'm going now to attempt it again.

      Delete
  5. Wow! I like that two tank system!!! We have been running the furnace and occasionally a small electric heater inside he Casita and it has stayed toasty warm. Very pleased with the insulation. It has been awfully cold!!!
    Yea, it was a great game (could have been greater). Auburn has had an incredible season....WAR EAGLE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't know about those double tanks. Sounds like a really smart move by RoadTrek.
    So Florida got hit too! Stay warm it can't last much longer, can it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I am just finding your blog and enjoy it very much. I did a similar trip to the Panhandle two years ago. I left Illinois on Christmas afternoon and returned exactly one month later.....it was VERY cold. I was in a 1076 Dodge Sportsman class B/C ...I've never seen another one like it. I had planned to boondock as I was on a very tight budget but the only heat I had was space heaters so I ended up having to go into state parks to have electric for heat.

    I wanted to mention that there are two campgrounds at Grayton Beach SP. One is more modern and further away from the beach but the other one is much more remote and I walked to the beach almost every day. It might not be possible with the cold temps you are experiencing but it got down to 14 at night at high 20's during the day for several days while I was there.

    The main reason I am writing is to tell you about an oyster bar in Panama City that you HAVE to make it to if you like oysters. You can google it or check it out on YELP. It consistently gets 5 stars. It is called Hunts Oyster Bar and it was the best oysters I have ever had. It is a small place, and there is usually a wait but it is well worth it. It is reasonably priced and the oysters are outstanding. If you go for a late lunch or get there early for supper you can get in pretty easily. I was by myself so I liked to sit at the bar and watch them shuck the oysters right in front of me. I have sent many people there and they really like it.

    I hope to head back out on the road myself this year and will be in touch as I would appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks for your great blog and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know of which scenario I am most envious -- the fact that you have 11 gallons of water, when I have only one plastic jug to flush my toilet, the beach proximity, or....OYSTERS! Send pics, please!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had faucet hook-ups freeze when winter camping (not in the camper but at the outside faucet). If you get tired of waiting for a thaw to get water, use a hair dryer to thaw out the outside hook up. Works like a charm :-) Y'all stay warm out there. I'm counting down the weeks till I leave to head south again. Our arctic cold up here in VA seems to be over -- temps in the 60's and 50's for the next 10 days or so.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !