Friday, February 21, 2014

Brunswick, GA

I left Hilton Head this morning, sad that my time with Janice ended.  It was like old times last night playing a favorite card game – Spite and Malice.  Do you know it? 

What can I say?  No friends like old friends.

Here's another photo from the 70's.  Taken by my mom, who often affectionately called us silly girls.  I can't imagine why.



Under stormy skies, I drove about an hour to Richmond Hill, GA to make a planned maintenance stop for the GDB.  Here at Dick Gore’s



Just some routine chores – change the generator oil, lubricate the antenna crank, and replace the AC/heat pump filter.  The people here are awesome!  They even offered to feed me lunch!  In fact, BJ the mechanic showed me the filter, said it was in good shape and just needed cleaning.  So he washed it for me.  So if any of you are in need of RV service in the coastal area, give these good people a call. 

I only had to wait about an hour and the time passed quickly once I discovered that Kat (pictured here) is a NASA fan.  More like a space groupie, I teased. 




She reeled off the names of the Mercury, Apollo, and Shuttle astronauts she has met and then shared photos of herself with Neil Armstrong, Jim Lovell, and Fred Haise (to name a few).  Kat goes to Kennedy Space Center often and she gave me some good tips and websites in case I return to Titusville.  I made her solemnly vow to stop at McDonald Observatory on her way to California and attend a Star Party. 

The heavy rain that began while I was at the dealership stopped after lunch so I drove another hour to Brunswick, GA.  After picking up few grocery items, it was still early.  I stopped to browse an antique mall but the only relic I was drawn to was this old guy.



The sun appeared later so I found a nearby mall and got some walking in.  You know how we are always saying it’s hard to work-out on the road?  On this trip I want to try to walk at least half an hour every day. 

I decided to remain for the night in the mall parking lot that adjoins this Embassy Suites hotel.  



I still have no plan for this trip, but will no doubt head to some beach tomorrow.  

14 comments:

  1. Do you sleep soundly in a parking lot? When I stayed overnight in a friends driveway close to the street. People walking by and also at a Camping World lot I did not sleep well, not sure if I could do the parking lot boondocking and I'm not ready fir the responsibility of a dog yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a 'white noise' machine that filters out most of the traffic noise. Didn't need that in my friend's driveway as she lives in a rather secluded neighborhood. But I can sleep between semis in a truck stop and not hear them pull out in the AM thanks to the machine. And I'm a light sleeper!

      Delete
  2. I hope you didn't have any bright lights shining in your windows! Honestly, I usually sleep very well in parking lots, but I sleep in later when I'm in a "legal" campground site it seems. Maybe it's the lack of noise outside. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legal is nice because you can have lights peeping through etc ... Other than that, to me - when it's dark it's all the same.

      Delete
  3. Enjoying your trip! That dog has personality written all over him.

    We sleep better when we're "legal." Sometimes it just takes having another rv around.

    My sleep goggles keep the bright lights from being a problem....prefer dark and quiet though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sleep great in the van. My curtains do a remarkable job of keeping the light out. The other night I was parked next to a tour bus whose passengers were in the hotel for the night. By the time I work up the next morning, the bus had filled back up and was gone. I never heard a thing.

      Delete
  4. The last time I checked your blog you were home. I must learn to keep up maybe get on line earlier so I am not to sleepy to read all the blogs.

    Sure have been lots of birthdays this month. Happy Belated Birthday! mine was the 17th.

    Traveling without a plan seems to be more fun. A man once told me if you have to have a schedule you shouldn't travel. I liked that advise and will never travel with my sister again.

    Have a wonderful Adventure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday to you too! I'm usually home (which I guess makes me a some-timer). I love both my lives. Ain't I lucky? Yes, I learned that same lesson with a family member of my own. Never again!

      Delete
  5. I've been a planner all my life so I was amazed to learn I like traveling in my van with just a general direction in mind and no deadline to get anywhere. After lunch naps in eatery parking lots are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! The best thing about traveling sometimes is you get out of your own way.

      Delete
  6. It was so nice to meet you Friday. It isn't often that I come across someone interested in Space. I will have to get you the information for the Free Tour of Cape Canaveral Air Force Station that is offered. It's like one of the $30 dollar tours they offer at Kennedy Space Center but it's free and you get to go in the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. It's really great. I am still on the hunt for that autobiography I will have one. :) Enjoy your trip and stop by and see us anytime you drive by even if you don't need service but to just say HI! Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Kat. I'm so glad you dropped by! It was so nice to meet you the other day. Send me the info if you would - I really want to make it down to this part of the world more often.

      Delete
  7. Look at that cute lazy pup! I feel like that today....it's raining cats and dogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That dog was hilarious. Wish I could remember her name.

      Delete

Let's chat !