Sunday, May 25, 2014

Day 1 - See The USA In My Chevrolet


How can you not sing along with Dinah Shore?  




I left home after lunch today.  Over the next couple of weeks, I'll be racking up the miles – about 2,500 of them.  It’s a long way to Crater Lake!  

With temps already in the high 80’s in the sweltering south, I’m eager to reach more temperate latitudes soon.  But I'm staying cool for now as both the generator and the A/C are purring along as I write this post just before sunset.

I’m over-nighting at the Itawamba County Welcome Center in Mississippi.  

I learned about this spot from the Overnight Parking Database.   It’s a lovely shady spot nestled in rolling hills along US 78.  I received permission from the 24-hour security office to park for the night.  The guard directed me to a lovely shady spot and even encouraged me to use my noisy generator.



As you can see, I’ve got my very own picnic table (!) in addition to free wi-fi, a dump station, spotlessly manicured grounds, and the promise of coffee and doughnuts in the AM.  I consider myself welcomed.  Thanks Mississippi!  

So, a fine first day on the road.

The downside, of course, is leaving home and family.

See what I mean?

It's so very hard to leave but .... I just gotta see Olympic National Park! 

I want to share my new techno-gadget for audio-books.  I like this set-up.  My Sansa Clip MP3 player attaches to the Kinivo speaker.   Thanks to Joni, a fellow Roadtrekker, for the suggestion on the teeny tiny speaker with the big sound. 



That's it for now.  Tomorrow I'll continue north-by-northwest through Mississippi and Tennessee. 






10 comments:

  1. I sure would like to see that audio book thingy. How about a detour through northern Minnesota? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy! That will be next summer when I tour the Great Lakes. Hope you are back there then.

      Delete
  2. Wow! What a wonderful trip! Crater Lake and the Olympic Peninsula are two of the most beautiful places we have been.
    Will your husband ever travel with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Merikay! When he retires. Which he can't do right now. Someone has to pay for my gasoline!

      Delete
  3. What a hoot the Chevy commercial was! Hope your trip to see the USA is commercial-worthy, too! :)

    Your overnight spot is beautiful. And thanks for the link. I don't need it now, but have it bookmarked just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great spot to overnight!! You are on your way.....Looking forward to following along!!! Safe travels!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm ready to go along with you.
    I like the idea of the little speaker will have to check that out. Someone tried to steal my system out of the dash and now nothing works. I just ordered the little MP3 player so I need a speaker don't like the ear pods and not a good idea or driving.

    Love you overnight spot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good to see you on your way again! Hope we have a wonderful trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to read about the rest of the trip! I'm planning on going that way next year. Aren't those speakers great? I bought two to link together, but now I just use the one and keep one in reserve, switching them out when they need to power up. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !