Friday, May 16, 2014

Road Trip Prep

Well, it’s been a while!  

One of the drawbacks to having a travel blog is when you don’t travel .... you don’t blog.

I’ve stayed busy since my last trip in March with teaching, housekeeping, and getting ready for my next big adventure.  The biggest one yet ...

Spending the entire summer in the Pacific Northwest!

Not only will I miss out on the worst of the heat and humidity the swampy Southeast can inflict but, most importantly, I’ll see a new-to-me region of the USA.

The Route

As always, my route is guided by National Park site locales.  It's going to be an epic journey.  With some epic stops.


Craters of the Moon


Crater Lake 

                                                       
Olympic

Mt. St. Helens 
                                           
Mt. Rainier 

North Cascades

 Glacier 

Yellowstone
                                                                                                                       
Grand Tetons 
 
I plan to meet-up with the WINS (Wandering Individuals Network) in Oregon and travel with them for a bit.   Here's their Summer Circuit.  



Some international travel is on tap too - with a couple of crossings into Canada.  The passport is packed!

The Ride


My van is now even more livable.  By culling and consolidating supplies, I’ve created more room in the rear cargo area.  I figure I’ll need the extra space just for the 4-season clothing this trip requires.

The biggest change was the decision to remove the TV.  There is vastly more room now without the flat screen on its swing-arm to bump my elbows against.  


Best of all, the view out the right living room window is now wide open.  In a space of 115 square feet, every inch makes a difference.



Notice the little butterfly sticker above.  I'll be adding more to cover up the holes left by all those screws.




That's all the news for now.

Talk to you soon from the road!



29 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like a wonderful trip! I have a feeling you will be running into Suzanne (TakeToTheHighway) a few times this summer as she'll be up in the PacNW visiting National Parks too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne,

      I certainly hope I cross paths with Suzanne!

      Delete
  2. I shall be criss-crossing across some of the same territory this summer as well. I will look forward to seeing some of your adventures and stopping points as well. Will you be doing boondocking or staying in parks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi klbexplores,

      Cool! Mostly boondocking. I only stay in campground when I really need a loooooong hot shower or a dump station.

      Delete
  3. Fifty-five degrees this morning....slept with the windows open last night to the sound of the ocean. Clam chowder and a cold Anchor Steam beer for dinner last night. You had better hurry up!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Won't be long. Leave me some chowder!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful trip!

    We took the TV out of our first Class B as well. I didn't have one put in my current one. I get plenty of screen time on my laptop and iPad. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really watched TV for a variety of reasons. 1) There were always more interesting things to do like blog or read or work a crossword and 2) lack of decent programming - I would much prefer the viewing options via streaming.

      Now that I'm earning my living online, I have even less time for TV at the end of a busy day on the road.

      Delete
  5. An awesome agenda. Hope our paths cross, someplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Jerry! BTW, I'd really like to attend the next Green Eggs and Ham rally.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime, Kim. Wishing you much joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I really hope you will follow along. Makes it a little less lonely.

      Delete
    2. Wouldn't miss it for the world! :)

      Delete
  7. We loved the PNW! You are going to have a ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such a dream come true. All my life, I've wanted to explore the region. Before - it would have been a one-week trip via airplane/hotels. Though it took far too long, this way is much better.

      Delete
  8. What a fantastic trip you have planned!!!! I can't wait to follow along!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ambitious agenda! How do you plan to stay rested? We bypassed every one of these places on the way back from Alaska. Just did not have the energy to stop and take a look!
    I did hope we would be back to see them on another trip.

    Question for you? When you were downsizing, did you ever go through periods when you did not want to let go of your larger home? And now that you have been in the smaller place, do you ever have regrets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ambitious indeed. But doable over 3 - 4 months.

      Never a moment's regret, either during or after. It was a choice of one large high-maintenance house versus two small houses - the low-maintenance condo + the house-on-wheels.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Kim. It seems that we waffle weekly!

      Delete
  10. What a great plan. I had a TV in my Class C and hardly ever watched it. I used my laptop for movies even though I had a DVD player hooked to the TV.
    I have been looking for a Class B and I thought if I found one and it had those cabinets where your head should be what it would take to remove it. Of course I look at lots of things just can decide what I want.

    But I sure will be following along with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo! Sorry I missed your comment. You can't beat a B for solo anytime travel, IMO. Now, full-timing would be a different issue. In that case, I would likely get a small TT.

      Delete
  11. Hi, Just found your post. Really nice pictures. Sounds like a really nice trip you have planned, Enjoy....HoboJoe

    ReplyDelete
  12. We made that trip in 10 weeks back in the late 80's when our kids were in elementary school. We had a chevy suburban and a 28 ft camping trailer. You are going to love this trip. How long do you plan to be gone this time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee, Good to hear from you! Not sure how long it will takes. Months is all I can say right now. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a great trip, and traveling with the WINS will be fun! Great places to visit, and you should have really nice weather, too. It's going to be good to be back on the road again. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !