Thursday, May 29, 2014

Sidney, Nebraska

Driving my age.




Yep, that’s me in the right-hand lane with the cruise-control keeping me in the mid-to-high 50’s.  I cling desperately to my 15.2 MPG knowing that gas prices will only increase as I head further west. 

Halfway there!

Over the past few days, the GDB has cruised through Missouri, Nebraska, and a little slice of Iowa.  Tomorrow will find us in Wyoming.  After about 1,200 miles, I’m now at the half-way point to Crater Lake, Oregon!

Here is one of many stops at interstate rest areas over the last 3 days.  Every one I’ve seen in Nebraska allows overnight parking.  This one even had a shower. 



The hot weather I am so eager to elude pursues me like a villain.  Oh well ... rather oppressive heat than tornadoes, right?  It’s 92 right now in Sidney and, after much searching, I found the one shady spot in town.



Only the low humidity makes the oppressive heat bearable because – all together now – it’s a DRY heat.  This should be my last hot day as I'll be in the 6,000-feet elevation range by lunch tomorrow. 

Today I decided to get off the road earlier than usual after 5 days of hard driving since leaving home.  

Web Photo


I’m overnighting at Cabela’s – an oasis in this vast sparsely-populated high-plains region of Nebraska.  The store not only allows overnight parking, but has a walking trail with a small lake, along with a free a dump station and water station.  Score!  This location also has a nice-looking RV park with all amenities. 

Note

I added a link in the right margin for the Overnight RV Parking website.  Best travel purchase I ever made.  The modest membership fee ($24.95/year) has paid for itself many times over in saved campground fees.  Without this resource, I would not have known about the free dump and water stations at Cabela’s.  Confirm or add new sites and your membership term is extended.  Mention my blog and we both get a free month! 



14 comments:

  1. I heard Cabelas are dreamy...our one credit card is with them! Love shopping the points! Thx for link and note about Nebraska. I can just feel those cooler temps...but higher gas?! Darn it...$4.19 diesel in MI!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. My motto for this trip is "LOOK AWAY from the pump!!!".

      Has anyone on her deathbed ever wished she hadn't traveled so much?

      Delete
  2. Wow, you are moving right along!!! Mike and I are finally getting the Casita "moving" and we are so excited. Thanks for the link to Overnight RV Parking. We'll take a look at it. We might just be needing it in the near future!
    Hope that heat is left behind as you begin your increase in elevation!!! Stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks HTs! I saw a Casita today but, as usual, the folks were leaving at the same time I was arriving.

      Delete
  3. You have done some hard driving!

    So nice that the Nebraska rest areas allow overnight parking. And one with a shower! Wow!

    I have spent a lot of money at Cabelas. Love them!

    I'm drawing van plans again tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You go, girl! I've seen so many conversion vans on this trip.

      Delete
  4. I have a question on the GDB.

    I notice that your Roadtrek looks sleek on the sides probably because it all looks like one long window on both sides. I am guessing that it is painted in between the windows? or is it glass. Also you have a cabinet instead of the third seat. Do you know if that and the "long glass" are options?

    Thanks Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate,

      It's exterior glass between the usual windows to give it a sleek look. I know for 2010 the long glass was an option. The original owner ordered it along with no decals (yay!) and no third seat (yay again).

      There is a small cabinet where the third seat would be. But, more importantly, the extra space without the seat enables a larger bathroom. Mine is 'enclosed' i.e. not an aisle toilet. It's rather like an airplane bathroom.

      Delete
  5. Trust me, once you hit Oregon, it will be worth the drive! (said while under a cozy blanket.)

    My first Cabela's experience was to buy my Merrel hiking boots that I just HAD to have because I saw them on someone's blog. ;-) They were having a special, if you opened a credit card, you got a free voucher. When it was time to stop by and collect my new credit card, they had it in the "to be destroyed" pile. I had been in the store SO LONG, they thought I had forgotten to come by for it! haha!

    Love that they have a free dump station!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to Oregon!

      Aren't those good hiking boots? When I found them at Cabela's, I went to the GDB and looked them up on Amazon. They were waiting for me when I got home - LOL!.

      Delete
  6. The Cabela's nearest us (Rogers, MN) also has horse corrals and dog pens. I think they want you to come inside without worrying about your animals overheating. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this one had those features as well. Smart! In fact, there was a gentleman in a Chinook hauling a horse trailer who over-nighted there last night. His 2 horses looked pretty pleased with their accommodations in the provided corral.

      Delete
  7. Dry heat. There is heat, and there's nothing dry about me except my mouth. I blame the Rio Grande, which I am gazing at as I type.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! The Rio Grande is indeed a great river but it's not blameless.

      Delete

Let's chat !