Saturday, June 14, 2014

Back to Bend

Just for the day. So it was 9 miles down the mountain in 2nd gear.  .  

I had a laundry-list of chores - including laundry.  After 3 weeks on the road, it was time.



You know, I’m old enough to remember traveling before the advent of the internet and GPS.  But, for the life of me, I just can’t remember HOW we did it.  All the services I needed today were located with minimal fuss.



What a savings in time and gasoline!

Leaving my most of my wardrobe happily dancing about in the dryer, I stepped around the corner to browse.  Don’t you just love a good thrift store?



I came away with 2 George Winston CDs for .99 each. 



It was a day of chores not unlike a typical day at home.  But accomplishing all this on the road injects adventure into the routine.  I wonder if all these full-timers I’m surrounded by have as much fun as I do going into town to do laundry?  Readers?

Another advantage to traveling: you never know what you're gonna see out the window.




My to-do list completed, I had plenty of time for a brisk walk along downtown's Deschutes River.



 My walk began and ended at one of Bend’s many dog parks.  



Dog Fancy magazine voted Bend the dog-friendliest city in the U.S.  Doris would love it! 

My last stop was to top-off the propane tank.  I still had half a tank but a shortage would mean deep discomfort.  The initial forecast of sunny + warm has not materialized.  The overnight lows have been barely above freezing so the furnace is critical.  

Here's our windblown camp before sunset.


Yesterday was rainy, gray, and just so unpleasant, everyone hunkered down in their rigs.  

The GDB furnace does a good job but still .... the past few nights have required sleeping inside, rather than atop, the sleeping bag.  



However, the highs are predicted to return to the 60’s over the next few days. 

The view out my window this evening. 


I do not miss my television.  





21 comments:

  1. For us laundry day is electronics charging day with the phones, laptop and tablet getting a full charge. Also time to catch up with emails.

    We miss TV the first few days of a multi-month trip. Then the small screen never crosses our mind until we run across one in a McDonald's or store; but then we stare, transfixed, as if we had never seen a television set in our entire lives!

    Enjoy those cool nights..we will be approaching the nineties next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I did that in Twin Falls - saw a TV in a restaurant and just stared at it. After awhile though I averted my eyes - it was the same old drama queens doing the news show. And not good news either. Life's too short.

      Delete
  2. Love the photos, especially the one inside the GDB.

    I don't know how we ever traveled without the internet and GPS either! I think it took a lot more asking strangers for directions and frustrating driving in circles trying to find places!

    I would not miss the TV either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bed is so comfortable! A lot of people knock the electric sofa but it's perfect for me - for day and night.

      Delete
  3. I always thought about sabing shots and stories of all our laundry stops...some can be a real hoot and I kind of enjoy! That bed looks COZY! George Winston? I'll have to look that up....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do look him up. He does piano solos - really calming music for the road.

      Delete
  4. Laundromats never thrilled me too much. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I would grow weary of them too. Right now they seem rather exotic.

      Delete
  5. I remember stopping at phone booths and checking the phone book for locations of local stores. And stopping people on the street to ask for suggestions and directions. I am so directionally challenged, I've often wondered if I'd be a full-timer, or even a part-timer if I didn't have my GPS. That thing has changed my life!

    I also do research on the Internet, find a couple of laundromats, and then call them to make sure they are still in business. And ask fellow campers and camp hosts. They usually have the best info on what's in the nearby town.

    Laundromats? First on my list of "hate to do." Vacuuming is second, all ~21 square feet! Dumb, huh? However, once I get started at either I enjoy the tasks and feel good when they are done. Especially when I can wear my favorite shorts and shirts again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We own all of George Winston's music. Even went to see him in concert once. That thumping you hear in the background is him keeping time with his foot; he wears only socks, no shoes, at concerts but you can still hear it.

    Those album covers brought back some memories, as well. The main thing I like about laundromats is being done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love GW. We saw him in concert too, way back in the mid-80's. He performed in socks that night too.

      Delete
  7. So whats on the adventure tap with the WINS i know they always have something fun planned...The seat in my DLEX is very similar I'm supposing you didn't have yours flopped down in this photo... I wish my van was a Camper, it is only a travel van...I could probably re configure it with time and money. I guess a to do list is always better when its all checked- DONE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sondra,

      Lots this week - kayaking, hiking, 4x4s, dancing, lake touring. They are an active bunch.

      The photo is misleading but the sofa actually is all the way down. Hard to tell from the picture.

      Delete
  8. Not a big fan of laundromats, but when they have free wi-fi it helps!
    George Winston's December is one of my favorite CDs. We also saw him in person in Mobile, AL many years ago. I long to play the piano like that.
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he wonderful? We saw him too and it was a memorable concert.

      Delete
  9. Mike and I love piano solos...I'll have to look into George Winston. We have several CDs of Emile Pandolfi and just love his music.
    Your rig looks so cozy. We are still experimenting on how to sleep in our Liberty. We have tried the king arrangement but I don't like making that huge bed up every morning and again at night. We like the full bed but our doggies sometimes join us and then it is crowded. We have now gone with the twins and I "think" we will like it. If we do we are thinking about ordering the Travasak from Camping World.
    Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were going to get another Casita (and I would in a heartbeat if it suited my style of travel), I would get a Liberty and do the twin beds. How big are your pups? Can they squeeze in the twins with you?

      I saw where Camping World has brought back the Travasak. Good move.

      Delete
  10. I would love to be cold right now. And to sleep under a nest of blankets is my very favorite way to sleep. But I know you have had more than you share on this trip so heres hoping for better weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo,

      I feel your pain. Trudging thru a hot summer is just soul-sucking. It may be colder than we expected but it beats HOT.

      Delete
  11. People here in edmonds washington were headed for the malls today - seeking relief from the heat. It got up to about 64 degrees here today - a bit on the warm side. Lol. Lately, I've noticed an influx of stealth campers around town here in Edmonds - about 20 miles north of seattle, right on the ocean. I'll be hooking up with the WINS in a couple of months. Come visit Edmonds some time - you'll be glad you did. Terry T

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !