Friday, June 6, 2014

Bend, Oregon

The Miracle of 8% Humidity


Arrived in Bend yesterday evening.  Knackered from the 332-mile day, I sleep for 12 hours!  

Lowe’s is my home for the next couple of days.  It’s very quiet here and off the beaten path - which is proving hard to find within the Bend city limits.       

After my slow morning, I head for the river walk for some much-needed exercise. 



I’m still in awe that I can move about in the full sun at 1 PM.  Doing so feels warm yet pleasant.  Back home in the Deep South, such a thing would be downright hazardous. 

People out enjoying themselves at high noon!



The outdoors-iness of this town and its inhabitants reminds me of Salida, CO.  It seems like every 3rd car roof sports a kayak, mountain bike, or canoe.  But Bend feels uncomfortably crowded with its population of 81,000 - in an area that should probably accommodate 40,000.  A resident told me today that the real estate vacancy rate is 1%.  The traffic is hideous

The price of gas is $3.99/gallon, while the same quantity of milk sells for $2.84. 

Here are a few photos of the drive west yesterday – almost all of it on US 20.  It just looks like the Oregon Trail, doesn't it?



According to the road atlas, US 20 is a flat, straight shot across 2/3 of Oregon.  Not so!  Guess I need a topo map out here.    

One of the rare straight stretches.



But it was a scenic drive for sure!

Remember when Dick and Jane would visit their grandparents?  I think this is their farm.



See Grandfather's truck?  

The Bookshelf


These days, I’m listening to Treasure Island.  



What a ripping good tale!  I remember clearly that we had the book in our house when I was a kid.  I even remember some of the illustrations, but don’t recall having read it. 

And I’m in the middle of this novel.



Have any of you read it?  If so, I’d like to hear from you.  I count it among the most memorable works of fiction I've read in a long time.  

My plan is to see more of this area tomorrow before heading to Crater Lake on Sunday.





10 comments:

  1. The high desert museum is pretty cool; there's also a famous hike thru the lava river tubes near bend ( you can Google it). Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll have fun - bend is a great area! Enjoying your descriptions of travel in my corner of the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The museum is on my to-do list. Probably for my return to Bend with the WINS next week. Thanks for the suggestions!

      Delete
  2. Will be in Bend on Tuesday - for a week. Will be my first trip there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There sure seems to be a number of bloggers visiting Bend right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can honestly say we have never been in Bend, Oregon or even close so following along is a real treat!! Who knows where the road might lead us in the future!! Yes, walking or doing most anything outside at 1 pm in the deep south is crazy!! Our temps are now in the 90s most days and the humidity...well we won't mention that!! You keep enjoying and I am looking forward to your visit to Crater Lake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been hoping that you and Anne H would communicate while you were in Oregon. We met her in Quartzsite and enjoyed her company. Probably a good source of all things Oregon!

    Are you stealthing at Lowe's? We've not spent a night at Lowe's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, stealth camping here. I recommend it. There is some traffic noise from Highway 20 but it's easily tuned out. It's a good-sized lot, plenty of room, mostly level, and even has some some shade. The wi-fi is good. And free!

      Delete
  6. Pretty country.
    I have no idea what those people in the water are standing on or what they are doing. I guess that what you get when you live in the desert. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are SUP's...stand up paddleboards......the hot thing in the paddling community. We see them on the Tennessee River in downtown Chattanooga.
    Just had to jump in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just caught up with you, again. Think I'll skip Bend. Sounds a lot like Durango, CO. Way too many people for the old town.

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat !